Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help

I have a 2002 trans am and i am having a intermittent ignition problem. Randomly the car will turn over strong but will not start. I will try to turn it over a few time and on the 5th try or so it will start right up like nothing ever happened. This seems to happen about once a day now and used to only happen about once every two weeks. I have had the car in the shop for this and they finally got it to fail while hooked up to the computer and it shows nothing wrong when it is doing it. Everything is getting the power where it needs to and air/fuel/spark is all good. They have no idea what it is. They thought it was my MAF sensor because there was another problem with that but it was not the problem and now idk what to do next. This does not happen every time i start the car so i have no idea what it is.

I am wondering could it be something with the stock security alarm messing up, the reason i bring this up is the first person who saw it thought i had a kill switch in the car, so that can help you think about what it is doing.

So if anyone has any advice i am all ears i am sick of sitting in my car turning it over. thanks
Old 03-15-2011, 07:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The (VATS) security system disable both the fuel enable signal to the PCM and the starter relay. So if it was the source of the problem, you wouldn't be able to crank the car at all. Besides, the security light in the instrument cluster would be on or flashing.

If you suspect that the fuel enable signal from the VATS in the BCM is the problem, you can test by removing the dark blue wire from the blue connector at the BCM and grounding it. That will provide a fuel enable signal to the PCM, bypassing the BCM.