Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Best Speaker Level Out Off Stock Monsoon

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Speaker Level Out Off Stock Monsoon

I am adding a sub to my factory monsoon, would it be better to use the speaker level off the amp (going to the sail subs) or just use the left and right channels right off the back of the head unit to tap into. I also am not sure if it will make a noticable difference using strait speaker level inputs to the amp or use one of those speaker/RCA pre-out adapters.

What do you experts suggest?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

If your sub's amp doesn't have speaker-level input then you will have to use a line out converter to provide signal to it. The factory head unit doesn't have any pre-amp output. In that case, it's better to use the output from the HU before the amp (either directly behind the HU or on the input side of the amp connector). This is because the factory HU produces a lot of distortion and you don't want to amplify that before sending signal to your sub amp.

Similarly, if your sub's amp has speaker-level input, you still want to use the signal before the Monsoon amp to avoid additional distortion.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
If your sub's amp doesn't have speaker-level input then you will have to use a line out converter to provide signal to it. The factory head unit doesn't have any pre-amp output. In that case, it's better to use the output from the HU before the amp (either directly behind the HU or on the input side of the amp connector). This is because the factory HU produces a lot of distortion and you don't want to amplify that before sending signal to your sub amp.

Similarly, if your sub's amp has speaker-level input, you still want to use the signal before the Monsoon amp to avoid additional distortion.
I am not wanting to use a speaker level/RCA adapter. I think the high quality amp ( Kicker ZX750.1) I have, using the speaker level inputs would be better than just using some cheap *** converter. Which exact two wires would I use if I were to just use a signal from the stock HU?

Are you sure it would not just be better using the subwoofer (sail panels) outputs off the stock amp, seeing as they are already crossed over and just the low/med freqs?

Thanks for all the help, btw
Old 03-18-2011, 07:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You're right that it would be better to use your new amp's speaker-level input rather than an adapter. But you still want to use the least amplified signal you can get. That Kicker amp has its own low-pass and subsonic filters so there is no advantage to using the filtered output of the Monsoon amp. Using head unit signal prior to the Monsoon amp amplifying it will give you cleaner signal.

The wire colors are dark blue and light blue (+ and - for the right rear) and brown and yellow (+ and - for the left rear). The colors are the same whether you tap in behind the head unit or at the Monsoon amp connector. There is more than one dark blue wire - you want the one where all four of those wires are together in a row in the connector.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You're right that it would be better to use your new amp's speaker-level input rather than an adapter. But you still want to use the least amplified signal you can get. That Kicker amp has its own low-pass and subsonic filters so there is no advantage to using the filtered output of the Monsoon amp. Using head unit signal prior to the Monsoon amp amplifying it will give you cleaner signal.

The wire colors are dark blue and light blue (+ and - for the right rear) and brown and yellow (+ and - for the left rear). The colors are the same whether you tap in behind the head unit or at the Monsoon amp connector. There is more than one dark blue wire - you want the one where all four of those wires are together in a row in the connector.

Gottcha. That was exactly what I was looking to confirm. Thanks, if LS1 Tech had a rep system, I would rep you , lol.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:54 AM
Teching In

Can a aftermarket headunit's speaker wires be tapped for Monsoon amp imput and still be used to add four additional speakers to my 2000 z28? Thanks
Old 12-21-2011, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

yeah, you can splice into any speaker/woofer in the car. get one of those converters, just did a sub for the rear of the camaro but you can use it for speakers as well

Quick Reply: Best Speaker Level Out Off Stock Monsoon