LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Plug wire sleeves

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug wire sleeves

So I bought a set of red plug wire sleeves because I thought I might need them once I installed my headers. Turns out the wires clear just fine and the sleeves aren't needed. My question is, should I go ahead and install them? I think they might add some color to my mostly stock looking engine bay. The down side is that they might reduce the air gap between wires and primaries and cause the wires to burn that otherwise wouldn't have. Also, I could probly get my money back since there still new and clean. I can't find any pics of these on lt1's that don't have OTVC wires. Opinions?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

I'd leave them off. All the do is inhibit space and they are not needed.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:19 AM
11 Second Club

We're talking about the 6" tall sleeves that fit around the wire, right?
Just long enough to cover the boot and wire that would otherwise be next to a primary?
I'm not sure what your headers look like, but there's no way I'd get wires in there
without sleeves. The ambient heat alone would eventually destroy the insulating layers.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:42 AM
Launching!

Ebay headers. I believe there the lpp knock offs. I was suprised to but theres alot more room in there than I expected. No less than with the manifolds I dont think. I guess I'll put a couple on and see how it looks. Hopefully someone can chime in with some pics before I get around to opening them. Just dont wanna take the "open package" hit if I sell them.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:34 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

IMO they are not worth it. Regardless of what headers you have if you keep the wires to no more than 8mm then you can use the stock locations to route them. To me it looks far better, neater and much easier to work on than any other configuration. The only secret to using the stock wire locations with LT headers to use a longer wire for #5. That way you can route it to the end of the sheath on the block, then turn it around and connect so the boot is pointing towards the firewall instead of frontwards where it would be prone to burn on the #5 primary easily. Just food for thought.

Quick Reply: Plug wire sleeves