Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Fluid Temp Gauge

Old 03-15-2011, 03:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Fluid Temp Gauge

Has anyone installed a temperature gauge for your 4l60e? I was about to order an oil temp gauge from summit for 40 bucks and wanted to know how hard it was to install the sender. Do we just drill and tap the pan? I never had any luck with my bug when I installed senders for gauges because they always seemed to leak after doing them. I think the reason I burned up my 3-4 clutches is I let my trans get too hot so a 40 dollar gauge is good insurance.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

A $40 gauge must be mechanical, electric gauges cost more.
A mechanical sender in a sheet metal pan is going to need an adapter brazed in. Brazing on the pan can be tricky because it will want to crack when it cools. Every mechanical gauge adapter fitting I have seen is brass so it has to be brazed.

The advantage of an electric gauge and sender is that it has a much smaller sender. With this sender you can screw it into the pressure port, install it in a drain fitting which requires a hole drilled in the pan and the fitting installed with a nut.

My personal preference is to use a tee in the cooler line going to the cooler along with an electric sender. Or have a drain plug tig welded into the pan and use it for the electric sender.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
A mechanical sender in a sheet metal pan is going to need an adapter brazed in. Brazing on the pan can be tricky because it will want to crack when it cools.
Then get a steel fitting welded in the pan. I'd prefer that over brazing anyway.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slow67
Then get a steel fitting welded in the pan. I'd prefer that over brazing anyway.
Like I said, I don't recall ever seeing a mechanical temperature probe adapter made out of steel.

I guess a steel adapter welded to the pan to screw the brass adapter into would "work".
Old 03-15-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its a Summit electric gauge I would not consider mechanical. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G2882/
Old 03-15-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was you, I would spend the 10 extra bucks and go ahead and get the Autometer Sport comp electric trans temp gauge. I just got mine installed last week. On the driver side, there is a pressure port right about the shift linkage. The sender fits perfectly into it. It matches well with the stock gauges and it carries the reputation of being Autometer.

BTW, for people who are running a trans temp gauge, what does your temperature normally run? I live in east TN and the other day was the first time I had the car out, it was about 55 degrees outside. I was expecting temperatures to run anywhere from 160-180. The car barely hit 150 once on a long uphill pull with the converter turning about 3000 for close to a minute.. Anything sound funny about this??
Old 03-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Banned

Not a bad price. The instructions are pretty clear on how to install it. http://static.summitracing.com/globa...sum-g2882a.pdf
Or you could put the sender in the case pressure port, I personally don't like it there but thats me I guess.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Autometer actually has a bad reputation from most racers I know. Unless you buy there top of the line gauges most of there gauges compare to any other cheap gauge. I have Defi gauges in my Eclipse and I have not seen anything close to them quality wise. The autometer boost gauges usually read 3-4 lbs of boost off of actual boost which is enough to do some damage. Every Summit brand product I have ordered I feel is comparable to the other brands and is likely made by them just with a different name.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just found a 12 dollar B&M universal drain plug so I ordered it since it said in the instructions that the sender can be used in place of the drain plug.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where is the case port located?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just received my Summit gauge and I also ordered a gauge cup for it. The universal drain plug I ordered is the same thread as the sender so I spent with shipping and everything only about 80 bucks. The Summit gauge appears to be very good quality and I think it will be very good insurance for the transmission. I truly feel like the only reason my tranny developed some hard shifting after tearigng it down was running it with an external cooler bypassing the stock cooler and overheating at the strip. The trans cooler that you buy should always be added to the stock cooler from the transmission shops I have talked to about a high stall performance set up. From the transmission guys I have talked to heat is the number one killer and fluid temp should never exceed about 200 degrees and the only way to do this is at the strip is to use the stock cooler and an aux cooler added to the setup.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool man, glad ya got it. Post pics up whenever you get in installed. Are you going to mount yours off the lines or in the pan??
Old 03-17-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The sender will go in the pan using the drain plug. It should be a pretty straight forward thing. I am not sure if I will put the gauge on the center console next to the shifter or on the dash somewhere. I am rebuilding the 4l60 right now once I get my homework done for the week I should be able to get it back together next week sometime.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans Fluid Temp Gauge