LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

another o2 thread. Wtf is happening here

Old 03-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another o2 thread. Wtf is happening here

The senerio: Installed ebay longtubes in 96 Z28 A4. o2 extensions did not arrive in the mail. car is a DD so ive had to drive it the past 2 weeks in open loop with bung plugs. 02 extensions finally arrived last night so I installed them today during my lunch break. turns out i didn't need the drivers side extension. let the car idle for a minute or 2 while i went upstairs. when i came back down the car sounded like it was about to die and was running in closed loop. it then picked up rpm and changed to open loop. it has done this a few times through out the day while running errands and tonight went to closed loop as i left a parking lot and got on the gas it fell on its face then picked back up and went fine for a couple seconds and then switched back to open loop.

only codes are p0134 and p0154. why would the o2 sensors be intermittent? they worked perfectly before, so what im wondering is do the heaters get weak after awhile and the LTs are enough to make them not work. do any new stock replacements get hot enough for LTs or do i need the corvette rears ive heard about? dont think those are flat 4s tho. i just dont get y its still going into closed loop now and then. is there another solution?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

I would start checking to see if the O2 wiring (both stock harness and one extension) somehow got into contact with the exhaust and burnt. There are a cluster of wires which contain the O2 wiring that should be rerouted between the #2 and #4 primaries. If they aren't they come dangerously close to the #4 or #6 primary.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:09 AM
Launching!

Thanks i'll check tomoro if i can manage to see in there good enough. is this wiring for bank 1 and 2 or just 2? i ask because im getting a code from both sides.. just weird if theres a bundle of wires that gets burnt from the LTs and this is my only problem... I've done alot of searching and of course everyone has a different opinion but i found a thread in the lsx section where someone had a very similar problem and fixed it by replacing o2s with denso corvette rears. some ppl say stay away from denso and some say stay away from bosch. lets assume i need new o2 sensors, would would you guys use? cheapest is key at this point. obviously something that gets hotter will be better. and of course needs to be flat 4 plug and not the newer square 4.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:37 AM
Village Troll

From what I understand both of the codes you are throwing are from connectivity issues. The cluster of wires on the passenger side are for Bank 2 front/rear O2's as well as the trigger wire for your starter and (I think) the PCM ground.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:38 AM
Launching!

just remembered i used dielectrical grease on the connections. is this a big no-no as it could act as an isolator because of low voltage? or does it even matter?
Old 03-16-2011, 12:42 AM
Village Troll

I would clean it out and try again. No reason to use it on the connections. They should all have rubber seals around the plugs to keep moisture out.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:01 AM
Launching!

ya retarded now that i actually think about it. pretty sure these o2 sensors vent through the wires anyways. long story but i recieved a second set of extensions tonight that ill try tomoro as well just to eliminate as much as possible.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like a bad connection or short somewhere to me. I extend my o2 harness myself and sodder the connection then use shrenk wrap and a extra dei spark plug boot to protect it. works much better than the cheap wire extentions, i also had a bank 1 issue for a while so i just made my own.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

I've also done that I cut my BOSCH O2's added extensions and soldered and shrink wrapped them..it didn't throw any codes and seemed to work ok !
Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check for burnt plug wires against the LT's. That is probably your problem. Happened to me.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00FlowCamaro
Check for burnt plug wires against the LT's. That is probably your problem. Happened to me.
plug wires are fine and have nothing to do with throwing p0134 p0154 o2 codes. Checked o2 wires and everything is good. as i said before i only have 1 extension and im getting codes from both banks. also cleaned the connectors really well. 99.9% sure its nothing to with the wiring. I figure the o2 sensors are getting old and arent heating up enough. is this something that happens? or do they either work or not? still can't figure out why it will randomly go into closed loop and run like **** then back to open loop and be fine. My big question now is will any stock replacement heat enough or do i need a special sensor or something? these things are expensive and i'll have to put off collecting parts for a cam swap because of these stupid sensors. this sucks
Old 03-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Village Troll

How old are the O2 sensors?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like the heater circuits aren't working as well. This is typical with O2 sensors. Are the sensors switching from rich to lean fast or are they real slow?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS RRR
How old are the O2 sensors?
as far as i know there from the factory. 180,000 kilometers. probly time there replaced one way or another. i ordered NGK's off ebay today for $85 shipped to canada for the pair. and i have no idea about the switching. i have a maxitrip auto computer that reads open/closed loop. thats the only reason i have any idea wants going on
Old 03-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Launching!

had the same problem with a set of pacesetter LT's. Car would stumble and fall on its face when i gave it gas. Turned out to be all the **** from the inside of the headers ruined my O2 sensors
Old 03-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by shix
had the same problem with a set of pacesetter LT's. Car would stumble and fall on its face when i gave it gas. Turned out to be all the **** from the inside of the headers ruined my O2 sensors
what kinna **** was inside your headers? thats kinna wierd. definitly not my problem but it does make me more confident about ordering new sensors
Old 03-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Launching!

its just the thin painted coating to prevent rust

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: another o2 thread. Wtf is happening here