Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Which of these cams would fit my needs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Which of these cams would fit my needs.

Going into a 1999 fbody...motor is a tsp 408 with ls3/l92 heads 64cc, -4cc pistons and fast 102 manifold..backed by. A th400 trans with a 4400stall.
9in wit 3:90 ..and car would weigh about 3700 wit me in it..nd the car would see 85% of the track and about 10% street car..mainly for shows... And 5% parked lol
Here are the cams

1st:
Product Information
Intake Duration: 239 Degrees at .050" Tappet Lift.
Intake Lift: .624" with 1.7 rockers.
Exhaust Duration 271 Degrees at .050" Tappet Lift
Exhaust Lift .624" with 1.7 rockers.
108 Degree LSA

Designed Fordum6.2 to 7.4 Liter Engines With Stock Or Stock Type Intake Manifolds and Rectangular Port Heads.
Extensive Computer Tuning Required.
Suited for applications needing concentrated high rpm power.
Dual valvesprings recommended.
3500 to 7000 RPM Operating Range.

And 2nd

Product Information
Intake Duration: 236 Degrees at .050" Tappet Lift.
Intake Lift: .612" with 1.7 rockers.
Exhaust Duration 262 Degrees at .050" Tappet Lift
Exhaust Lift .646" with 1.7 rockers.
114 Degree LSA

Designed Fordum6.0 to 7.4 Liter Engines With Stock Or Stock Type Intake Manifolds and Rectangular Port Heads.
Computer Tuning Required.
Aggressive High RPM Power Band.
Exclusive lobe design works well with 1.8 rockers.
Works well with nitrous oxide.
Dual valve springs recommended.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a car that sees most action on the street I'd take the 2nd cam and for a car dedicated to the track I'd use the 1st cam. Just my .02
Old 03-16-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't like either one of those at all. Too much intake and WAYYYYY to much exhaust. Don't like the lsa either.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen those cam specs before. EPS shelf grinds (no secrets). Personally, I like the 2nd one (with maybe a little more LSA) listed on the All Motor Page for Rectangular Port Heads. But I was thinking about a few more cubes than what you have. I'm sure the guy that specs those cams would spec you a custom one if you're interested.

LS 230/246

Product Information
Intake Duration: 230 Degrees at .050" Tappet Lift.
Intake Lift: .600" with 1.7 rockers.
Exhaust Duration 246 Degrees at .050" Tappet Lift
Exhaust Lift .607" with 1.7 rockers.
113 Degree LSA

Designed For 6.0 to 7.4 Liter Engines With Stock Or Stock Type Intake Manifolds and Rectangular Port Heads.
Computer Tuning Required. Broad Power Band.
Aggressive idle and strong mid-range power.
Exclusive lobe design works well with 1.8 rockers.
Dual valve springs recommended.

1500 to 6800 RPM Operating Range.

Last edited by FLYZNTN; 03-16-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WKMCD
I don't like either one of those at all. Too much intake and WAYYYYY to much exhaust. Don't like the lsa either.
Originally Posted by bozzhawg
I second that.....

Bozz
Well, those are Geoff's off the shelf rect port grinds. Speak what you want, but we know Geoff don't spec junk.

To the OP if you have spent this much money so far why not get something ground to suit your needs? Call up Geoff or get in touch with Pat G and get them to grind you something to meet your expectations.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I
Got those off geoff page or should i say engpwrsys.com

Im runnin a pretty similar one to the 230/246.. Im
Running a 230/244/114 lsa but this is in my silverado..but now this motor going into my 99fbody
Old 03-17-2011, 05:45 AM
TECH Junkie

FWIW: I made very nice power - 520/475 - with a 234-240 112 +0 on XE-R lobes in my 403. I've now run 3 cams in the 403 and one in the 427. The sweet spot for the intake on these heads seems to be in the 230 to 234 duration range. I've havent run any cam with over 242 on the exhaust. Don't push CR past about 11.4:1 or you won't be able to run enough timing to make power. The heads have like 28-30 degrees to make power.

Just my $.02
Old 03-17-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Well, those are Geoff's off the shelf rect port grinds. Speak what you want, but we know Geoff don't spec junk.

To the OP if you have spent this much money so far why not get something ground to suit your needs? Call up Geoff or get in touch with Pat G and get them to grind you something to meet your expectations.
Nobody ever said they do, you made that assumption......

Just because people have a different opinion on what to run does not take anything away from what those two have done.....

But I will tell you this, open your eyes and broaden your horizon because there are thousands of guys running other cams that work and have worked well... There is a whole entire world outside of the box, Now if your allegance is with those two, thats fine....

But don't put words in my mouth that I never said and I did not see WKMCD say either, now your just being messy ......

Think outside the box, don't be a sheep bro.... I see marketing has power.....

Bozz

Last edited by bozzhawg; 03-17-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Nobody ever said they do, you made that assumption......

Just because people have a different opinion on what to run does not take anything away from what those two have done.....

But I will tell you this, open your eyes and broaden your arisen because there are thousands of guys running other cams that work and have worked well... There is a whole entire world outside of the box, Now if your allegance is with those two, thats fine....

But don't put words in my mouth that I never said and I did not see WKMCD say either, now your just being messy ......

Think outside the box, don't be a sheep bro.... I see marketing has power.....

Bozz
Don't get it twisted. The OP stated he wanted something for 85% track which would be something that would make good power. You and WKMCD posted your opinion that you didn't like what you saw which in turn means you don't think it would make good power. I will agree that I have not seen a build with Geoff's cams but none of us has seen any. WKMCD has a combo from Shawn at Virginia Speed that makes good power so he believes in what he has seen from VS and I believe that Shawn spec's very good combos.
So none of us knows if any Geoff's cams will or will not make power so....you need to think "out of the box".

I have a 416 build going on right now that Geoff has spec'd the cam for. I will post up the results when it is done and we can talk about it more in another thread.

By the way I have broadened my "horizon" because I don't know what an "arisen" is.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Actually it's been 4 different cams from 3 different people, L92's with three different porting levels, 3 different compression ratios, 4 different intakes, 2 different displacements.....

But what do I know...

Last edited by WKMCD; 03-18-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't get it twisted. The OP stated he wanted something for 85% track which would be something that would make good power. You and WKMCD posted your opinion that you didn't like what you saw which in turn means you don't think it would make good power. I will agree that I have not seen a build with Geoff's cams but none of us has seen any. WKMCD has a combo from Shawn at Virginia Speed that makes good power so he believes in what he has seen from VS and I believe that Shawn spec's very good combos.
So none of us knows if any Geoff's cams will or will not make power so....you need to think "out of the box".

I have a 416 build going on right now that Geoff has spec'd the cam for. I will post up the results when it is done and we can talk about it more in another thread.

By the way I have broadened my "horizon" because I don't know what an "arisen" is.
You can always follow the paper trail and the dollar because the dollar leads the brain and the mouth for many.... Son, I can see out of the box and far past the box your in sitting on a shelf in a warehouse... If internet dynowars are what your into, I will bow out and give it to you, your the champ, because thats not what I am into.....

Bottomline:
Your trying to create a controversy and there is no need for that, like I said you were being messy.......

I never said I did not like the Geoff lobes or that they were junk, you said that, I said I do not care for the the cam specs, so once again, quit being messy and trying to create some flaming controversy.......

You "azzumed", no need to spell check that...

Bozz

Last edited by bozzhawg; 03-17-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Imma fill out geoff custom cam sheet and maybe some other vendors..ill keep yall posted if something comes up!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Veteran

You can always follow the paper trail and the dollar because the dollar leads the brain and the mouth for many.... Son, I can see out of the box and far past the box your in sitting on a shelf in a warehouse... If internet dynowars are what you're into, I will bow out and give it to you, you're the champ, because thats not what I am into.....

Bottomline:
Your trying to create a controversy and there is no need for that, like I said you were being messy.......

I never said I did not like the Geoff lobes or that they were junk, you said that, I said I do not care for the the cam specs, so once again, quit being messy and trying to create some flaming controversy.......

Bozz
Fixed

You're just trying to bow out gracefully now. How about you throw up a cam spec since you don't care about the stated grinds? With your grammar I suspect you will spec out 290/211 480/525 118

To the OP good choice in getting something custom spec'd.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:49 AM
Launching!

You can always follow the paper trail and the dollar because the dollar leads the brain and the mouth for many.... Son, I can see out of the box and far past the box your in sitting on a shelf in a warehouse... If internet dynowars are what your into, I will bow out and give it to you, your the champ, because thats not what I am into.....

Bottomline:

Bozz
i don't like the specs of the cams either,for a STREET car.both descriptions clearly state these are high rpm cams.i think both would work well for the intended purpose,which would basically be a drag only car,with steep gears,high stall converter,etc.definately something i wouldn't choose if it was my car.
but that's just my opinion from the specs posted.as we all know(or should know)there's a lot more to a cam then specs at .050.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gtotoocool1
i don't like the specs of the cams either,for a STREET car.both descriptions clearly state these are high rpm cams.i think both would work well for the intended purpose,which would basically be a drag only car,with steep gears,high stall converter,etc.definately something i wouldn't choose if it was my car.
but that's just my opinion from the specs posted.as we all know(or should know)there's a lot more to a cam then specs at .050.
Agreed, but the 230/246 cam wouldn't be too big for the street in a 408 like the OP has but the bigger one I can agree is big for the street.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Agreed, but the 230/246 cam wouldn't be too big for the street in a 408 like the OP has but the bigger one I can agree is big for the street.
i was going by the descriptions listed for the 2 listed by the OP..
Old 03-19-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

mainly not gonn drive the car on the street.. mostly strip! and just drive to local car shows

Originally Posted by gtotoocool1
drag car basically.. track about 85% , 5 % street, and the rest either parked or local car show..

i have a pretty high stall 4400.. 3;90 gears, etc
Old 03-19-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Call Geoff or somebody you would trust that would point you in the right direction on a cam that would suit your needs. They might put you on some different lobes that are more aggressive since it will mostly be a track car. That's what Geoff did for me, but most, maybe all the people you can think of that is reputable to spec a cam will put you more on the aggressive lobe profiles.

Quick Reply: Which of these cams would fit my needs.