LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Descreening MAF

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Descreening MAF

I decreened mine. Seemed to help here and there but at warm up it runs as if it want to fall on its face at times from time to time. (did I just say it like that?)lol Is it really worth it or just a myth on doin anything? I have minor mods.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

It doesn't help more air get in. The screen helps to keep cross section areas flowing correctly at different air velocities and throttle positions. The "increase" in power is from the MAF not reading correctly and letting more air pass that isn't being metered. Thus giving the engine a leaner mixture. Leaner mixtures "generally" give more power. sounds good right? yes but a downside is also thrown in the mix. When at one time the MAF will show less giving a leaner mix, it will also show more and give a much richer mix; enough to make the car, as you said, Fall on it's face. Not every one will have this problem but some do.

It's best to leave the screen in and get a tune for the fuel mixtures and timing changes.

Last edited by nitrous2fast; 03-16-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Ya that's kinda what I was thinking. Figured I'd give it a whirl. Thanx
Old 03-16-2011, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I descreened mine. And never had an issue
Old 03-16-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most tuner will tell yu not to mess with it, but most aftermarket ones dont have them. Yet every aftermarket MAF i have ever used had issues. I have seen a better idle and throttle response with the screen then without. Some may say they dont have issues but they might not notice little changes or issues, or how often there car is driven
Old 03-17-2011, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Ya I drive mine daily. So I notice everything. I put it back itI last night and it was better. The only thing I did notice was I could hear it suck in air..Which was cool..But not enough for it to run like ****.

Quick Reply: Descreening MAF