General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fuel Guage pegged and car running like poopy

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Fuel Guage pegged and car running like poopy

Started my car for the first time the other day since november when I put it away. Hooked the battery up, turned the key, and she fired right up. Problem is, even after being warmed up, if you rev it a little bit it has trouble finding its idle again without dying. basically running like ****. Also noticed that my fuel gauge is pegged on full, which it never did before. I did put stabil in the tank, but i forgot to run it for a while afterwards, so i guess the stabil was in the tank only. Think this should clear up after a tank or two or fresh fuel?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, If its really bad suck the gas out of the tank and fill with some good premium, should clear up is my guess. Might not have had the best gas to begin with, and may have gotten alot of moisture in it. The sta-bil is good, but after you pour it in you have to let the vehicle run for a lil while so it gets good and mixed. Wouldnt hurt to throw a new fuel filter on the car while your at it.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

i guess ill change the fuel filter and put in some fresh gas and see what happens. Thanks guys
Old 03-25-2011, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBSully
i guess ill change the fuel filter and put in some fresh gas and see what happens. Thanks guys
Yep, sounds just like bad fuel. You could drain some fuel out up at the rail, since I'm guessing your full tank that was treated with sta-bil is still good? Don't waste it.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i was being stupid and i just poured stabil in the tank and forgot to run it for 5-10 minutes. Maybe it will clear up by the time I get it home from storage and i can change the oil/fuel filter etc.