General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

a/c not cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question a/c not cold

previous owner didnt recharge the a/c when he did a cam swap, I charged it a few weeks ago and was blowing cold, tried it thurs and its not getting cold, i checked and it didnt leak out and still has a full charge, and the compressor is engaging. I dont think anything is stopped up and condensor is clean, feeling the lines while running i know one should be hot and the other cold right? they are both the same temp. Thinking i have a bad compressor thats just not pumping? what do you guys think?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got high and low side pressures with outside and vent temps? First guess is yea bad compressor but get us numbers before you make a very expensive unnecesary purchase
Old 03-20-2011, 07:30 AM
Launching!

low side was about 35lbs and outside temp was around 70, its not cooling at all
Old 03-21-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

You need both, the high side and the low side pressures.

How did you do a charge?

Did you pull a vacuum? Or just pump some who knows what from a can of death?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Launching!

yes i pulled a vacuum and put 134a in it, i work in a body shop and we have a A/C machine. it worked fine for a couple days after I charged it, and now nothing at all, but the pump is kicking on and it hasnt lost any freon
Old 04-20-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't just go off the low side pressure with these variable displacement compressors. Damn things will read a correct low side with almost no Freon at all in them. You pretty well have to throw all conventional diagnosis methods out the window. If the high side is where it should be, you more than likely have enough Freon in it. A better check would be static pressures vs ambient temp. If that checks out, then you need to investigate things like the control valve, orifice tube, temp door adjustment, all the stuff that drives you nuts. Your low side isn't horrible...but I would prefer to see it lower. I just don't know how to tell you how to get it there with the current supply of control valves. I'm seriously considering modifying mine to a fixed displacement and installing a cycling switch. I want to see evap pressures on 134 systems in the 20's if I can get it. It will never freeze up here in AZ.