Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Harness got wet. Salvageable? Ruined?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Harness got wet. Salvageable? Ruined?

It's been raining for weeks it seems like, but I was able to pull my motor after building a ghetto garage out of heavy duty tarps and rented chain-link fence. I had the motor sitting outside as i do not have a garage, but it was covered with tarps with some bricks holding it down. It was raining really hard last night, and It looks like at some point the tarp blew off. This morning I went out and the motor was uncovered and wet. The harness is what I'm most worried about right now. I'm not using anything from the old longblock, but I'd like to see if the harness is salvageable, or damaged in your opinions. Is there anything I can do besides keeping it covered for the time being? Is there something I can spray on the connectors to make sure they don't rust or anything? Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

-Chris
Old 03-19-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd blow them out with canned air. IIRC, there is a special cleaning spray for electrical contacts. To be safe, you also might want to ohm out the circuits with a multimeter.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Other than the connectors, the engine harness is designed to withstand water - it gets wet under the hood. All you need to do is dry out the connectors and apply some dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. It probably wouldn't hurt to put plastic baggies over the connectors to prevent a recurrence.