Sponsored by:

question about driveline angles

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about driveline angles

Actually I have a couple of questions.
The car is a 1987 Cadillac Brougham. I am in the middle of a 4.8 Vortec swap with a 4L60E.

The first questions is : Is the drive shaft getting closer to the floor of the car when the rear suspension is compressed?

The reason I am asking is because for clearence purposes my engine sits at 5 degrees downwards. After reading a few articles on driveline angles I understand that the differential should be have the same angle as the engine but parallel, meaning 5 degrees upwards. The driveshaft should then be at around 2-3 degrees referenced to either the engine or the differential.

So this means I should rotate the differential upwards so I can obtain the 5 degrees to match the engine angle. But I am afraid this will decrease the clearence of the driveshaft to the body of the car and on bumps it might actually hit it.

Is this right ?Or will the differential rotate with each compression of the suspension in order to keep the same distance of the driveshaft to the body of the car?

I'd like to know if I can give the differential the 5 degrees upwards without worrying that the driveshaft will interfere with the floor of the car. Of course, by tilting the differential upwards about 1 inch will be lost until the bumpstop that I am showing in red in one of the pics below.

Any advice will be very helpful

Thanks
Old 03-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts