New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF happened

Old 03-20-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angry WTF happened

Before I installed my LTs and ory with the ls6 intake and tune I had 300rwhp. I put all this **** on and gained 8rwhp and lost two of tq. WTF happened?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

what about the rest of the curve? dont only compare max hp and tq any pics of before and after curves? but still strange tho!
Old 03-20-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

what catback do you have and was the tune done by a reputable tuner?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRAZZ28
what catback do you have and was the tune done by a reputable tuner?
^ This.

Those numbers sound fairly low to begin with.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have a cat back and had my car dynoed by Dan from masport.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wicked383lt1
I don't have a cat back and had my car dynoed by Dan from masport.
I would make a catback your next mod as the stock muffler and I pipe are now restricting your exhaust flow. You shouldn't have lost torque at all. peak tq will move a little higher in the rpm range but there is no way it should have lost any. Was it dynoed at masport both times? and was it dyno tuned or are you still on stock tune?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dynoed and tuned at masport...the first time I dynoed the car for a baseline it was a local shop in Miami. Only mods were the free mods and the car made 300rwhp and 320rwtq. I didnt think that I pipe and muffler would restrict it that much. Also my ory is vibrating on the undercarriage. But the tuner say that wouldn't affect the knock sensor
Old 03-20-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Dynoed and tuned at masport...the first time I dynoed the car for a baseline it was a local shop in Miami. Only mods were the free mods and the car made 300rwhp and 320rwtq. I didnt think that I pipe and muffler would restrict it that much. Also my ory is vibrating on the undercarriage. But the tuner say that wouldn't affect the knock sensor
That is probably where you "lost" the tq then. Different dynos will ready differently. dyno jet will show more hp and tq than a mustang dyno. and even if 2 different dynos are the same model they will not read 100% the same. thats why you cant put too much though or effort into dyno numbers. If you can spare the money for a dyno pull or 2 go back to the local shop it was dynoed at for the baseline and run it again and see what it shows.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by CRAZZ28
That is probably where you "lost" the tq then. Different dynos will ready differently. dyno jet will show more hp and tq than a mustang dyno. and even if 2 different dynos are the same model they will not read 100% the same. thats why you cant put too much though or effort into dyno numbers. If you can spare the money for a dyno pull or 2 go back to the local shop it was dynoed at for the baseline and run it again and see what it shows.
Exactly.

You can't do a direct comparison of before and after mods on two different dynos. If you go back to the original dyno, you might find that you gained more like ~20rwhp.

I also agree that the stock muffler is holding you back though. You will never see the most out of your headers and intake with a stock muffler. At the very least, get a cutout.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Exactly.

You can't do a direct comparison of before and after mods on two different dynos. If you go back to the original dyno, you might find that you gained more like ~20rwhp.

I also agree that the stock muffler is holding you back though. You will never see the most out of your headers and intake with a stock muffler. At the very least, get a cutout.
Well the first one was a regular dyno not sure of the name but it was different to the 2nd one. The 2nd one was a mustang dyno. What are the differences in the two?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

haha, every dyno will read different, even 2 mustang dynos. Also, you only gain power if you remove your lowest restriction.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mustang dynos read very low. A car that dynos 300rwh on a MD could put down 320-325rwh on a dyno jet.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Launching!

All dynos are different and a catback or cutouts will improve a little. What matters...did your cars performance feel like it improved? Sometimes its not all about the numbers you put down especially with basic bolt ons.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, don't worry too much since you did it on 2 different dynos. If you are too concerned with it, then go back to a local dynojet.

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
^ This.

Those numbers sound fairly low to begin with.
How is 300rwhp weak to begin with? That's right on par with what a stock LS1 should put down. As he said: "Only mods were the free mods and the car made 300rwhp and 320rwtq." Those numbers are fine.

Originally Posted by Scoobysnacks
All dynos are different and a catback or cutouts will improve a little. What matters...did your cars performance feel like it improved? Sometimes its not all about the numbers you put down especially with basic bolt ons.
^That is what you should be worried about. I felt a definite gain from doing my headers on the buttdyno.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WSsick
OP, don't worry too much since you did it on 2 different dynos. If you are too concerned with it, then go back to a local dynojet.

How is 300rwhp weak to begin with? That's right on par with what a stock LS1 should put down. As he said: "Only mods were the free mods and the car made 300rwhp and 320rwtq." Those numbers are fine.

^That is what you should be worried about. I felt a definite gain from doing my headers on the buttdyno.
Butt dyno says that there is a nice gain rwhp...I guess your right.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by WSsick

300rwhp is a very good number for a stock A4 LS1. There are many A4s that only dyno 28x-29x rwhp in stock form.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

300rwhp is a very good number for a stock A4 LS1. There are many A4s that only dyno 28x-29x rwhp in stock form.
For reference. My 2002 w/ m6 and 10 bolt and no other mod then Free Ram Air, descreen of the MAF, and SLP LID put down 324 RWHP on a Superflow dyno which has characteristic of both Dynojet and a Mustang. They are big in the Diesel Tuning crowd.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Butt dyno says that there is a nice gain rwhp...I guess your right.
Don't just go off the butt dyno as those things can be deceiving at times. LOL Take it to the track and see if the car is faster than before. That way there's no question.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by m_liel
Don't just go off the butt dyno as those things can be deceiving at times. LOL Take it to the track and see if the car is faster than before. That way there's no question.
Another good reference. In order to actually "feel" a different the RWHP increase needs to be at least 8% or better improvement over the original #. Anything off the throttle is throttle response and should not count in that "opinion".

Using my prev example IF my Dyno'ed 305 RWHP stock which is not out of the realm of possibilities, and the 324 RWHP was the new figure, with dividing the new # over the old I get 6.2% increase and to be honest, I really did not "feel" it. The mods that I felt was gears (converter for A4 cars) due to the TQ multiplication and my cam swap.

Also to mention Header/Cat back + tune which was done after the lid felt a good gain too. I made 355 RWHP with that and that came to about 9.7%.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Another good reference. In order to actually "feel" a different the RWHP increase needs to be at least 8% or better improvement over the original #. Anything off the throttle is throttle response and should not count in that "opinion".

Using my prev example IF my Dyno'ed 305 RWHP stock which is not out of the realm of possibilities, and the 324 RWHP was the new figure, with dividing the new # over the old I get 6.2% increase and to be honest, I really did not "feel" it. The mods that I felt was gears (converter for A4 cars) due to the TQ multiplication and my cam swap.

Also to mention Header/Cat back + tune which was done after the lid felt a good gain too. I made 355 RWHP with that and that came to about 9.7%.
Curious to where you got the 8% figure from. I could definitely feel the difference from headers and gears, but I could even feel the difference from lid/LTs/true duals when I added an LS6 intake (without a tune). Definitely spun in places it never did before the swap. I could even feel the "smoothing" from the tune after I got it, but that wasn't really a power gain.

Search this Thread