Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Little shifting problem

Old 03-20-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Little shifting problem

Car is in first gear and i take off smoothly... once I push the clutch in and remove it from first and go to second, once I touch second gear I hear a "clunk" sound before it's all the way in gear. It does this most of the time through each gear. Sometimes when I'm stopped and put it in first gear you feel and hear the "clunk." It's almost like I'm not pushing in the clutch and the gears will hit. I think that is what makes the "clunk" sound I am talking about. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem before. The tranny just feels loose I guess. Doesn't feel solid. Stock T-56 with ls7 clutch. I've abused it. Maybe it's just time for a rebuild and a monster.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:45 AM
TECH Addict

Bump.

Also I'm finding oil on my exhaust pipes. It has a redish color to it. I'm pretty sure that is the transmission oil. I felt all over the rear of the tranny and it has oil all over it. Not sure where it's leaking tho. Any specific areas that are known for leaking? Like maybe where the drive shaft goes in?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 PM

Im having the same problem if i try to slam it in to gear but if i ease it in gear its fine I jus brought the car but I think it has an Ls7 clutch and it also has an aftermarket shifter is your shifter stock or aftermarket?
Old 03-23-2011, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like 2 seperate issues to me. To address the thread however..

blkbird2000: sounds like you are probably low on fluid causing the noise or has already done an untold amount of internal damage from being low.. I suggest repairing the leak, filling the tranny and see what you get. There are soo many places this trans could be leaking I would suggest getting the car on a lift and inspecting to see if there is an obvious leak.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:45 AM
TECH Addict

I have a pro 5.0 shifter. I've gotten under the car and looked/felt on the transmission. The entire back side is covered in transmission oil. Hard to tell where it's coming from. Do you have to pull the transmission to fill it up or fix a leak? I know motors but transmissions are a different ball game.

My next modifications are a new clutch and level 2 T-56 from tick.

Search this Thread