Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with code P0420

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with code P0420

Had TPiS headers, y-pipe, and cats installed way back in November. Everything went fine.

Last week had a horrible rattle from underneath the car. By the time I had it looked at two days later the rattle disappeared completely. Couldn't visibly see anything that fell off the car. Car ran fine.

Two days later while driving. Filled up with regular gas (belowing freezing temps here and not going full throttle anytime soon). Car throws a code - P0420 (smoke 'em if ya got 'em). No loss in performance nor can I tell anything is out of the ordinary.

We reset the code last night. After driving for about 60 miles today the code came back on. The car is using O2 extenders.
This car also needs to pass emissions in a few weeks.

So LS1Tech Gods, please help me!
Old 02-17-2004, 05:20 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That code is the Air Injection Malfunction code if I'm not mistaken. No biggie... What set mine off first was when I installed my catback. It had nothing to do with that really. It just means the AIR system is working correctly, or not getting enough air in order to work correctly.
What fixed mine was moving the filter that I installed on the AIR hose from when I installed the aftermarket lid.

You can either rip out the system, or just delete the code. Like I said, just try moving the AIR hose first to a different spot. It's useful with high flow cats, just so you dont burn up an expensive cat...

It shouldn't affect your emissions testing, depending upon how they do it in your state.

Rob
Old 02-17-2004, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Are you sure it's AIR? What I've been able to find on it points to the O2 sensors.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

Unless you have "code" checking with your emisions testing I think you will be fine. If you do have code checking you might want to buy O2 simms if your code keeps coming back.