LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How to check injectors?

Old 03-21-2011, 04:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to check injectors?

My 95 z28 has been idling like crap and hesitating when i press the gas after the engine warms up. Im thinking its either the opti or injectors messing up considering ive replaced basically my whole ignition system. i want to make sure its not the injectors before i touch the opti. Any way to check them? i dont have a scanner or anything so i would probably have to take it to a shop to do that. How much should i expect to spend checking them. BTW i put a new cap and rotor on it about 1k miles ago when i was crusing and my rotor shattered to pieces.The actual opti has 117k miles. Oh and its throwing codes but they come and go. It might go 2 days without trowing a code then randomly it will come on and randomly go away.

Last edited by Rg591; 03-21-2011 at 04:51 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-21-2011, 05:54 AM
On The Tree

First of all, i would check your fuel pressure. Its very easy. Just go rent a fuel pressure tester and hook it up to the schrader valve. With the key on(not started), it should be between 42-45psi. I think 43.5 is what gm calls for. I hate to be the one to say its the opti but it could be. I am having similar problems and everything checked out on mine. My opti has a new cap and rotor on it as well. The actual distributor has 135k on it. From what i read, the optical part is what goes bad in them. Also it can make it act wierd under a certain rpm. Also I would have the icm tested as well. Autozone will do it for free. I would try to get the codes read first to figure out what it is. Atleast when you have the codes, you can start somewhere instead of just throwing money at it. Hope that helps.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:57 AM
On The Tree

Since you have a 95, i would also suggest investing in a aldi cable so you can read the codes yourself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to check injectors?