Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Randomly Losing Power

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Randomly Losing Power

I have tried to search for this problem, but it would seem I am not using the correct terminology.

The problem I am having deals directly with the stereo and my window motor power. The stereo and window motors will randomly lose power for a random amount of time. This happens at any time during driving and vibration seems to have an effect on the power (sometimes).

To be more specific. The stereo completely shuts off, but the back-lights still remain on the buttons. I am also unable to control the windows. The power will eventually turn back on to these components. No other electronics in the car turn off during this time. The tachometer still works correctly, the lights still work, etc.

I have swapped the deck around a few times in the past, but I have never had to splice anything. The wires are just as they were when I first bought the car. I have not had the time to investigate further, but I am planning on checking the chassis harness wiring and seeing if there are any loose wires.

Does anyone have any ideas they wouldn't mind sharing? I would love to get this issue fixed. If you need any more information please let me know.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A crack in the BCM, pretty common.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by adillhoff
I have tried to search for this problem, but it would seem I am not using the correct terminology.

The problem I am having deals directly with the stereo and my window motor power. The stereo and window motors will randomly lose power for a random amount of time. This happens at any time during driving and vibration seems to have an effect on the power (sometimes).

To be more specific. The stereo completely shuts off, but the back-lights still remain on the buttons. I am also unable to control the windows. The power will eventually turn back on to these components. No other electronics in the car turn off during this time. The tachometer still works correctly, the lights still work, etc.

I have swapped the deck around a few times in the past, but I have never had to splice anything. The wires are just as they were when I first bought the car. I have not had the time to investigate further, but I am planning on checking the chassis harness wiring and seeing if there are any loose wires.

Does anyone have any ideas they wouldn't mind sharing? I would love to get this issue fixed. If you need any more information please let me know.
I have the same issue... I know for a fact my Battery is weak, and cant handle my stereo.. i was hoping that was the reason... how big/expensive of a problem is a crack in the BCM? (newb)
Old 03-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Whats your system comprised of and do you have a cap hooked up in line?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Blu99T/A
A crack in the BCM, pretty common.
Thank you for this. It definitely is common from what I have searched. I had no idea what was causing it. I am going to take the BCM and see if I can repair anything without having to buy a new one.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adillhoff
Thank you for this. It definitely is common from what I have searched. I had no idea what was causing it. I am going to take the BCM and see if I can repair anything without having to buy a new one.
typically it is a cracked solder joint.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Nobody thought it might be helpful to post the repair thread?

Here you go: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...blems-fix.html. The original poster had a hissy fit and deleted a lot but the photos are re-posted in the last couple of pages of the thread.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

And the picture

Old 03-23-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Nobody thought it might be helpful to post the repair thread?

Here you go: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...blems-fix.html. The original poster had a hissy fit and deleted a lot but the photos are re-posted in the last couple of pages of the thread.
Thought about it, but wasn't sure where it was.