Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Universal tank straps

Old 03-21-2011, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Universal tank straps

Hey folks, Im starting to get all my parts together for a 5.3/60e swap into my 74 c10. Just picked up a nice 02 5.3 with all the fixings for cheap. I also got the fuel tank, and pump from the donor vehicle. My thoughts are that if I can mount the new fuel tank(which is about twice the capacity of my stock tank) I'll save myself a bundle on the fuel system. So, here's my question, in a roundabout way. I know there's no way my stock straps will fit the new tank. Hell, they probably wont even come out in one piece. Are there any sponsors, or anyone else, who makes a universal strap system? Or, do oem straps work? If all else fails, I'll probably temporarily secure it with a set of ratchet straps
Old 03-21-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure you could fab some out of flat stock pretty easily. I am unsure of how they are designed but should be similar to most others. Weld a hinge to the lower end and some sort of stud onto the top for adjustment and you are set. Hope this helps. If not sorry for budding in. My camaro uses a carriage bolt at the top and the strap has a hole in it so you have the capability of tightening it down.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Thats what I was thinking, I just dont have easy access to a welder I would trust to support a full tank of fuel.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am sure you should be able to rig something up. Just check out some of the older hot rod truck.. many have adapter later model tanks or aftermarket one. Weld up supports from the rails andyou can use some 1"x1/8" metal or straps to secure it.

That is what I did when I replaced my Chevelle tank with a 95 Impala tank, I just bent up some 1"X1/8" metal from the local ACE (sometimes I get my best ideas from just walking around pulling odds and end together to fab up something). And I was done. Just think outside the LSx world and you will find there is a whole world of ideas..That's Hot Rodding ! LOL
Old 03-22-2011, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

I'll probably end up welding some brackets to a frame rail. I was just looking for an easy out, hah.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Universal tank straps