LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Catalytic converter ?'s for a swap guy

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic converter ?'s for a swap guy

Yeah im a cali guy and have to run cats? as a matter of fact i have a 96 lt1 camaro setup that i dropped in my 83 old cutlass? did the 96 camaros have 2 cats or 1? ive seen some people say 2 and others said 1. as well i called the smog referee and they didnt know the exact answer so i'll just go with 1 to save money for now because i might be able to get away with it..

now for my next question, has anybody used a catco converter? they have a good 5-year or 50,000-mile Catco warranty on converter body and 25,000-mile warranty on emissions and there 50 state legal and the price is perfect @ $106.
http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...on=Driver_Side

I know its not a performance hi-flow cat but i just dont want to spend $300+ for a direct fit cat and i might have to cut the piping up to use in my cutlass. universal 1's are about $210 but its just a cat so how could i get it bolted up to the driver side exhaust manifold which has that funny shaped triangle flange on the end on the stock exhaust manifold?

any help i can get would be awesome, thanks.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Teching In

well i got it figured out....SPD sales a lt1 exhaust manifold flange for the driverside so im good. Now all i need to do is buy a universal cali cat and i'll be riding on the streets soon
Old 03-24-2011, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

I'm pretty sure I have a catco cat. I only ran it for maybe a year after I installed slp single cat headers. It has the 2 bolt flange at back and a 3 bolt header flange on front. Pm me if you want it.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

96-97 came with two cats, one per side. also late 95's like my car.

you'll be fine with just a single 3" cat though. i've run magnaflow hi-flow cats on a bunch of my previous cars, they're around $70. they all passed emissions with flying colors.