General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No start please help! Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start please help! Thanks

hi all, im new here but im having a intermitten/no crank issue. 2000 ws6 auto. it does not want to crank, but sometimes it will randomly crank and when it does it fires right up with no hesitation. ive check the resistance of the key and the vats for the ignition cylinder, stayed around .522-.523. i thought it may be the bcm so i replaced that with a new gm bcm that is coded the same and still no luck. but my alarm would not work with new bcm so i plugged the old bcm back in because i dont know if the new one has to be flashed to work and if thats maybe why it still wont start and no alarm with the new bcm and the old bcm is bad but the new bcm has to be flashed. im not sure where to look next, i was thinking maybe the starter, starter or ignition relay, hopefully not the computer itself. it sat for about a month with me trying to start it every few days with no luck and then just a few days ago i tried just for ***** and giggles and it fired right up the first time. so i drove it around and came back home. stop/started it a few times, went to a friends down the street shut it off then it wouldnt crank, sat at his house for a couple days went to start it and fired up, brought it home, and now no crank again. any help would be awesome! its been a year of hell with out my precious t/a! thanks
Old 03-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Launching!

I had the same problem, turned out to be the ignition relay under the hood, $30 later and all was fine! Hope this helps, Les.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by itspat303
hi all, im new here but im having a intermitten/no crank issue. 2000 ws6 auto. it does not want to crank, but sometimes it will randomly crank and when it does it fires right up with no hesitation. ive check the resistance of the key and the vats for the ignition cylinder, stayed around .522-.523. i thought it may be the bcm so i replaced that with a new gm bcm that is coded the same and still no luck. but my alarm would not work with new bcm so i plugged the old bcm back in because i dont know if the new one has to be flashed to work and if thats maybe why it still wont start and no alarm with the new bcm and the old bcm is bad but the new bcm has to be flashed. im not sure where to look next, i was thinking maybe the starter, starter or ignition relay, hopefully not the computer itself. it sat for about a month with me trying to start it every few days with no luck and then just a few days ago i tried just for ***** and giggles and it fired right up the first time. so i drove it around and came back home. stop/started it a few times, went to a friends down the street shut it off then it wouldnt crank, sat at his house for a couple days went to start it and fired up, brought it home, and now no crank again. any help would be awesome! its been a year of hell with out my precious t/a! thanks

Is this a serious post

Not trying to be a dick to ya ...but how in the hell did you jump to BCM, VATS, Computer without lookin' into the simple stuff first.

It does sound like your ignition relay is bad. Swap it with your AC relay and see if the car cranks.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Teching In

as serious as you and i. its not either the starter or ignition relay. when key is turned to on position the ignition relay is heard, when key is turned to the start position the relay is heard. i havent got to the starter yet but thats where ill look next. i was just thinking that if the bcm is bad wouldnt it NOT send a ground signal to the pcm to send to either the starter or ignition relay? im hearing both relays click so could this mean the bcm is fine? well i just went to try to start it 5 mins ago, it didnt start and the security light stayed on NOT flashing. i waited the 3 minutes, tried to start again and still no crank but the security light did NOT stay lit the second time.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Teching In

i forgot to mention, its only happend twice in the two and a half years ive owned the car. but while driving the car the security light has come on and stayed lit for maybe a few minutes then goes back out.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ignition relay first!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do the vats bypass and rule that out. And go ahead and try the ignition relay. I had same issue and actually today I got it fixed.y starter and ignition relay went bad at same time. My car wouldn't do anything when I turned the key except make a clicking noise in the fuse box. So just do the vats bypass and swap relays like mentioned earlier. Does
The car turn over?
Old 12-10-2012, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2002 T/A
I had the same problem, turned out to be the ignition relay under the hood, $30 later and all was fine! Hope this helps, Les.
I'm having a similar problem with my '01 Camaro SS. If the relays are bad will it kick the "security" light on the dash?

I tried taking one of the fan relays and swapping it with the ignition relay first and then the starter relay and it didn't work. I wonder if both starter and ignition relays are possibly bad??

Quick Reply: No start please help! Thanks