LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Exhaust Flange V Band

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Exhaust Flange V Band

Ok I'm tired of my band clamps leaking and stupid exhaust issues so I'm going to install V bands with my tax return. My question is, is it worth paying 50 bucks per v band kit on summit. I'm going to have 4 connections so thats 200 on clamps alone. I work in a shop at school and can draw up the flanges and put them on the cnc lathe or turn them out on the manual lathe. Would it be worth the trouble to machine the flanges or just man up and pay the extra and buy the kits?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why don't you just get it welded? shouldn't leak and it wont cost $200
Old 03-23-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a bmr welded crossmember for my torque arm and the x pipe tucks in above that and it goes over the axle so if I ever need to change my exhaust or take it out for any reason I would have to cut it and drop my rear
Old 03-23-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

I plan on doing the same for my connections at the headers but i have no input on which route you should take, gl
Old 03-23-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hated my leaking band clamps back when I had them. Now I have V-band clamps for my turbo parts. Your welder needs to be good cause if you warp the flange it won't seal.. but some RTV will fix that.

That's one thing you could do. Use a little RTV at the clamp connection with your band clamps.

Also don't hesitate to make your own flanges if you want. It feels good to make your own stuff. When I had access to a machine shop I made little things like EGR/AIR block off plates and brackets with a brake. Sometimes I want to go buy a bunch of machinery so I can make my own stuff again.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i agree i do like making stuff since ive had two internships in manufacturing and have plenty of experience in the shop. just not sure if its worth the hassle i mean the flanges will be pretty easy to make..i mean heck while working in the shop tonight i drew one up in mastercam and have a cnc program made up for them already. I just have to buy the material.

When it comes to welding tho wouldnt it be easy enough to cut the exhaust and put the v band assembly in placed (with it clamped together) and tack the flanges in place and then disassemble and do short spurts of welding to keep from warping?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ill just have to live with my band clamps im to cheap to buy those expensive clamps. Hell i have aluminum foil wrapped around my exhaust to keep it from leaking. Seems to be holding up pretty well too.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

I just switched to V-bands and there great. Makes taking off the exhaust alot easier and eliminates fighting with slip fits. I do not have any leaks from them, But I did manage to snap the bolt off of one somehow when switching from the mufflex to dumped setup, so I would recommend before you buy check and see what size the stud is and get the beefier one. Both 4'' but one is clearly bigger stud then the other.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

well now you guys have me contemplating just getting 2 v bands right before my crossmember so I can drop my headers for any such reasons with no problem but welding the rest of the exhaust up because seriously when will I need to take my exhaust out and dropping the rear isnt really that bad
Old 01-14-2013, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

i know old, but ive been thinking about putting v-bands on my car since my headers and cats are leaking. im thining of putting vbands between the cats so i can disconnect the cats when i want. I also had a crappy welder that everyone recommended me to take my car too do a crappier job... hence one of the reasons i dont always follow the masses on this site either.
i know there are "gaskets" that go in some of these v-band clamps like aluminum or even stainless steel. It only makes sence to have some kind of gasket to help seal these. i know some guys make there own gaskets out of copper sheets in turbo appliations. One example i know of are SRT's turbos that have a hard time sealing there turbos in the back. They have an extreme bending downpipe that they have a realy hard time sealing. I had a guy that literally made a gasket out of some thin *** piece of copper for sealing and it sealed it up. i was really suprise but makes the point that if you want it to seal, a gasket should be used it its not sealing without it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Flange V Band