Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

which rings to get for a 408?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which rings to get for a 408?

hii... is this a wiseco Piston? i'm new to this and i need to order piston rings and bearings for my 408 stroker.. block is L98

which brand and what numbers?? i have tried searching but they dont list them by cubic inch
i have noticed there are different types as well... like standard or low.. i have no clue what this means
any help is appreciated
Old 03-24-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See if there is a number stamped on the top of the piston, And you know there Wiseco pistons. You will need to know for shore because of the ring thickness and if its metric or standard. And the new rings will most likely will haft to be file fit to the bore. I would prefer Total Seal AP rings if it was me. But need to know the part no. on the piston or maybe you can call Wiseco and they might help you.

Did you notice that your intake valve is hitting your pistons ? You better be havin that check out for shore !!!!!!!!! Your valve diameter is to large for the valve relief thats cut in the piston. While you have your pistons out take them to a engine shop and tell them whats the diameter of the valves you have and cam specs to have the piston valve relief cut larger, This is a must. The impact that i see is pretty bad and can brake valves and destroy your engine and i bet you definitely have bent valve also. So take the heads with you and have them check the valves and valve guilds for damage

Last edited by Randy WS6; 03-24-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
See if there is a number stamped on the top of the piston, And you know there Wiseco pistons. You will need to know for shore because of the ring thickness and if its metric or standard. And the new rings will most likely will haft to be file fit to the bore. I would prefer Total Seal AP rings if it was me. But need to know the part no. on the piston or maybe you can call Wiseco and they might help you.

Did you notice that your intake valve is hitting your pistons ? You better be havin that check out for shore !!!!!!!!! Your valve diameter is to large for the valve relief thats cut in the piston. While you have your pistons out take them to a engine shop and tell them whats the diameter of the valves you have and cam specs to have the piston valve relief cut larger, This is a must. The impact that i see is pretty bad and can brake valves and destroy your engine and i bet you definitely have bent valve also. So take the heads with you and have them check the valves and valve guilds for damage
thanks alot for the info.. i already fixed the heads and put them on...the car was puffing some white smoke as it usually did before the head repair... i drove it like 30 miles and then it lost oil pressure completely.. i'm getting 2-7 KPA with the engine turned off and on.. its the same reading.. i opened the valve cover and there isnt any oil spraying there while the engine is running.. so i think it has to be taken apart...
Old 03-25-2011, 05:14 AM

what about bearings?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

need more info on your set up but I second the ap steel rings from total seal they are second to none. piston and rod have to come out with ring replacement your best bet is to pull one and c if you find numbers on it if not measure the ring groves when it comes out and go from there. if you have no oil pressure check bearings while its apart for sure.