Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you really install coverter bolts through that tiny hole in the bellhousing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you really install coverter bolts through that tiny hole in the bellhousing?

I did all kinds of thread searches to find an answer to this one with no luck...

Has anyone ever had to install their torque converter bolts by taking off the starter and using this space to install one bolt through the flexplate into the TC, then rotating the flexplate/TC and doing it all over again for the remaining 2 bolts. (LS6/4L60E combo)

I say this because I'm not sure if I will be able to install the TC bolts through the tiny circular opening at the bottom of the 4L60E bellhousing. Just wondering if this is common practice?
Old 03-25-2011, 04:15 AM

Going through the starter pocket is how I have done it. If you look at the flex plate there is one hole that has a slotted hole. This would be the one that you would want to start with and the other two should line up perfectly. Vince
Old 03-25-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

What other way would you do it?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Its not at the bottom of the bellhousing where you install the bolts. Its behind the plastic inspection plate cover. You have to disconnect the speed sensor and take your starter off to get to it. Its not a small hole, theres plenty of room. You really did a search? I know of a thread on the first page without a search that will show you how its done
Old 03-25-2011, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Okay guys, It may have sounded like a dumb question, but thanks for the info. I'm used to the first gen engines w/ a TH 350 and a big-*** inspection plate/dust cover. Sometimes, the III/IV gen stuff is too easy to work on.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Its not at the bottom of the bellhousing where you install the bolts. Its behind the plastic inspection plate cover. You have to disconnect the speed sensor and take your starter off to get to it. Its not a small hole, theres plenty of room. You really did a search? I know of a thread on the first page without a search that will show you how its done
Yeah I was searching for quite a while last night to find an answer to my boneheaded (now obvious) question. I did find this thread with a lot of good info Trans Installation Link (I saw your posts to questions that had been covered twice in the same thread)
Old 03-25-2011, 01:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaKid
Yeah I was searching for quite a while last night to find an answer to my boneheaded (now obvious) question. I did find this thread with a lot of good info Trans Installation Link (I saw your posts to questions that had been covered twice in the same thread)
LOL it was covered twice and you still didnt get it?! LOL Jk man hope your install goes well. Are you doing a higher stall or using the stocker?
Old 03-26-2011, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

Haha Thanks man. I ended up going with a level III trans from xtreme transmissions with a 2300 stall to go behind my LS6.

Likewise with your project, hope everything fits together like it's supposed to (seems like it never goes as planned).