Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 05:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Running Amp Power Wire

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Amp Power Wire

For those that still have the Battery in the front of the car, and an amp in the rear. how did you run a power wire for the amp to teh battery? i have looked and looked and can not find a way to route the wire threw the firewall anywhere with out tearin the whole car apart. anyone have any ideas to help me out?
Old 03-25-2011, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

You have a hole already in the firewall in the passenger side up under the PCM. Take your PCM out and you can see it from the hood area. That is protected by a rubber seal. What you do is poke a hole either in the center to widen the center hole or somewhere else on the seal and thread your wire though the hole. Usually you do this from the inside towards the hood since you dont have to push much through going in that direction to reach the battery. On the inside you then run the wire under the door railing on the floor. Then under the plastic covering the sail panel and into the trunk. It's actually pretty easy.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

You do have to remove some of the moldings to do all this though. It's not time consuming, although it goes much faster with another guy on the hood side helping you thread and holding the seal in place so it doesn't pop out of the firewall.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

^exactly what he said. Just remember to run power on one side, audio lines on the other, to keep the audio cleaner and free from crosstalk or whatever its called.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

exactly. take out the pcm in the engine bay out. just a few bolts holding it in. very easy once you get started.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Launching!

How about the driver side? I want to run my power lead to the AUX post by the underhood fuse boxes and ABS hardware. I think it would look cleaner tied into that side.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Teching In

yeah i already got all the trim pieces out. and the passenger seat. what i havent seen tho is on the inside where that firewall pass thru is. i can see it from under the hood behind the PCM but for the life of me cant see it inside the car. and this isnt my first time installing car audio stuff. did it in my previous vehicles. just new to the Trans am. So i know bout not runnin power and audio stuff next to eachother
Old 03-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Teching In

also, what is everyone mounting their ground wire too?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

I mount mine to the bolt on the bracket that the antenna attaches to. The pass-thru on the inside is not visible.. you have to put your hand up behind the dash and feel for it.

Cross-talk is mostly an issue with live speaker wire and power wire as it's usually not shielded. Shielded RCA cables should be fine to travel along with the power cable. Though, it's up to you how you wanna do things. The stock setup has them both running together as well, but not pushing nearly as much power. A nice big cap also helps keep spikes out of the picture.

I use shielded rca's and dont hear any extraneous noise.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Going to run my amp wire today,Thanks for the info guys,,,,
Old 12-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Launching!

I have 2 amps in my car a hifonics 600.4 and a 1500.1 so (2) 4gauge wires and I used some flowable silicone to fill the space around the wires takes about 3 to 4 hours to tack up but works like a charm and doesnt look messy.

Quick Reply: Running Amp Power Wire