New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

window motors

Old 03-26-2011, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window motors

hey how hard is it to change out window motors on a 98 t/a ws6? how long does it take? and where is a good place to find the motors?
Old 03-26-2011, 12:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Here is a great write-up:

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

It's not a hard job. It should probably take 1-2 hours if you've never done this before.

I get replacement motors at AutoZone. Dorman brand, they seem to be great.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta have some tools not everyone might have if i recall though..

Hey RMP was meaning to ask you bout those motors, why not the ones of carwholesale or w/e from ebay? And how often do you use your windows? I'm at a toss up between both of those and don't know which will hold up longer, maybe there both the same though.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Gotta have some tools not everyone might have if i recall though..
Most stuff is just normal tools, but some people might not have a big enough C-clamp.

Hey RMP was meaning to ask you bout those motors, why not the ones of carwholesale or w/e from ebay?
I don't like to wait for shipping if I don't have to. Both brands that Autozone has sold have been great (Siemens, Dorman), so I see no reason to try anything else.

And how often do you use your windows? I'm at a toss up between both of those and don't know which will hold up longer, maybe there both the same though.
The Dorman motor is on my '02 Z, which is my daily driver, so it gets used.

Some people seem to burn motors out pretty often (GM or aftermarket), I think it might be due to the extra drag of tinting paper that many have on their side windows. All I can tell you is, I have no tints, and my stock driver's side motor lasted until 95k miles (and the passenger one is still working OK), so I expect and hope that the Dorman will last a long time as well.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

Ya mine are tinted also and I have 915xx miles. They still work but are kinda slow. And my drivers side window up at the corner leaves a gap sometimes and the wind noise sucks...new motors fix this?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Welcome to the F-body my friend. Lol. Some say its easy, and some say it a bitch, after you do it twenty times (and you WILL do it a few times!) you wont have any issue. MAKE SURE you buys the ones with LIFETIME warranty so when they go out again you can just ****** them out swap them for a new one. IDK why but nobody makes one that lasts? Maybe its just the weight of the glass, and the aftermarket are constricted to factory designs due to patents or something but iy wont be the last ones you out in. IF you rivet them go a bit oversize so they dont walk, and go to Harbor Freight and buy pneumatic riveter if you have acces to an air tank. If not, find some bolts, nuts, and washers and put them in. There are some good threads on here as stated above to help ya' out man.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:35 PM

RPM I'm still new and the driver's door on the car I bought doesn't go down/up. I went to autozone's website and wanted to know which Dorman motor you buy because they had a couple. Or are any of them good?
Old 03-27-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't read the write-up but know a rivet gun is pretty much easier...a bodyshop friend lets me borrow his.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

So will a rivet gun or bolts help keep the window up in the corner I was talking about?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by kamisama
RPM I'm still new and the driver's door on the car I bought doesn't go down/up. I went to autozone's website and wanted to know which Dorman motor you buy because they had a couple. Or are any of them good?
I've never used their website, so I'm not sure what it shows. But when you go in the store, I think they only offer it two ways (with and without the regulator). It should be the same motor though, it's just that one does not include the regulator.

I did not buy the regulator, just the motor only.

As for the rivet gun, I would skip that. I just used bolts, much easier IMO. Only time you need to use rivets is to replace the regulator.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:44 PM

Thanks, got the motor and installed it, works perfect.

Search this Thread