Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

i really need help. camaro is pissing me off

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

Default i really need help. camaro is pissing me off

So about two months ago my car was running perfectly fine then it starts to blow smoke, but the temp gauge doesn't show that it is over heating. it was boiling the coolant out of the reservoir tank and the reservoir tank only i have since then checked the relays, fuses, changed the thermostat, replaced the coolant temperature sensor, and now i am out of ideas. MY cars fans are not going on unless the a/c is on. today i finally replaced the coolant temperature sensor and realized that the fans are still not coming on... after 20 in the car and driving it the temperature started to go up (for the First time ever) and then was once again throwing the coolant out through the reservoir tank.
i was told to check the oil to see if it had water or was milky, which could mean a head gasket, but everything seemed fine... i can take anything..... please help im desperate at this point...
Old 03-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the coolant in the radiator low?

How much coolant is in the reservoir tank?

If they're both full, take coolant out the reservoir tank till it reads full on the measuring stick.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cancam99ss
So about two months ago my car was running perfectly fine then it starts to blow smoke, but the temp gauge doesn't show that it is over heating. it was boiling the coolant out of the reservoir tank and the reservoir tank only i have since then checked the relays, fuses, changed the thermostat, replaced the coolant temperature sensor, and now i am out of ideas. MY cars fans are not going on unless the a/c is on. today i finally replaced the coolant temperature sensor and realized that the fans are still not coming on... after 20 in the car and driving it the temperature started to go up (for the First time ever) and then was once again throwing the coolant out through the reservoir tank.
i was told to check the oil to see if it had water or was milky, which could mean a head gasket, but everything seemed fine... i can take anything..... please help im desperate at this point...
since your fans function when powered its in the auxiliaries somewhere...the coolant temp sensor feeds into a module which in turn will trigger a relay to turn on your fans...fans automatically turn on when your a/c is on but im not sure if your fans are triggered by the same relay (your manual should be able to tell you which relay is used for what)...check to make sure the relay changes state when powered (you'll hear a "click") and you have continuity in the contacts...if that checks out it has to be the module
Old 04-11-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

the blowing smoke worries me . head gasket sounds right . it doesnt have to get in the oil to be blown.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

Hey guys I actually got the car to work... It was actually that the low speed on the fan wasn't coming on so my car wasn't being cooled... Tool it to the shop and they got me set up with a radiator flush and a new set of working ls1 fans..... Glad it worked after this I followed to only get about 8 mpg ... I really missed the car lol

Quick Reply: i really need help. camaro is pissing me off