LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fuel Pump Prime Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel Pump Prime Issue...

For the past month or so, nearly every time i put my ignition on (9 times outta 10) The fuel pump relay will click. Which is fine, but after it stops it clicks again to reprime the fuel pump. Ive checked over all the wires and cant find anything wrong. I went out to my tuner and he had a problem reading my ECU so im thinking there might be a problem with my harness. But the car runs and drives great. Where should i look first ? Thanks
Old 03-26-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you let the car sit awhile at all? or near a field where a mouse could have gotten in the engine bay? There is a place where the wires run from the computer and harness into the cab that is located right behind the computer it has MANY wires and Ive read a few times that mice can wreck Havoc there?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Does it prime for 3 sec, then prime again for 3 sec?
Old 03-27-2011, 01:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by nitrous2fast
Have you let the car sit awhile at all? or near a field where a mouse could have gotten in the engine bay? There is a place where the wires run from the computer and harness into the cab that is located right behind the computer it has MANY wires and Ive read a few times that mice can wreck Havoc there?
Mice wouldnt be a concern. Never seen them anywhere where the car is. I think i know which cluster of wires your talking about. I might just have to reip everything out and go over ever single wire individually

Originally Posted by the_merv
Does it prime for 3 sec, then prime again for 3 sec?
Yup... and then again, and again, and again... on a rarity itll stop after the first time, sometimes after twice or 3 times. All the rest of the time it just continuously pulses
Old 03-27-2011, 06:53 AM
11 Second Club

I've never seen that..try a different PCM if you can..

The reason I say that is because what controls that priming is a 12v wire coming from the PCM to the 86 pin on that Relay. When you turn the key it goes hot for 3 sec, then should shut off, then power back on when you start the car.

I don't think it's a wiring issue.

Just find a '94 or '95 PCM from a Fbody, it doesn't even have to be tuned..you aren't trying to start the car, just checking prime.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

what about a relay problem? did you try swaping that
Old 03-27-2011, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Don't know if you've checked it yet,but try checking the ignition switch on the steering column my would do this sometimes when my wires were all jacked up down there causing the switch to slowly go out.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

I've never seen that..try a different PCM if you can..

The reason I say that is because what controls that priming is a 12v wire coming from the PCM to the 86 pin on that Relay. When you turn the key it goes hot for 3 sec, then should shut off, then power back on when you start the car.

I don't think it's a wiring issue.

Just find a '94 or '95 PCM from a Fbody, it doesn't even have to be tuned..you aren't trying to start the car, just checking prime.
I have another PCM ill swap it out and give it a shot. It has an older tune on it so ill just run that for alittle and see if it continues.

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
I have not, im not entirely sure where it is. Ill check shbox right now for that thanks

Originally Posted by 93QWKZEE
Don't know if you've checked it yet,but try checking the ignition switch on the steering column my would do this sometimes when my wires were all jacked up down there causing the switch to slowly go out.
I didnt even think of that. but nothing else goes on or off, the dash lights stay constant and so does auxiliary power.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
I have not, im not entirely sure where it is. Ill check shbox right now for that thanks
Lower kickpanel by the Drivers door.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Lower kickpanel by the Drivers door.
Thanks Ill check it out tomorrow. Even tho i doubt its that. Ill check the relay, the ECU and the wiring tomorrow hopefully
Old 04-25-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
Thanks Ill check it out tomorrow. Even tho i doubt its that. Ill check the relay, the ECU and the wiring tomorrow hopefully
Bump did you ever figure out what it was? Mine started dying and not cranking back but doing the same thing yours was.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lethal bird
Bump did you ever figure out what it was? Mine started dying and not cranking back but doing the same thing yours was.
No i never figured it out :\ It does it and i cant seem to figure it out. I put the ignition on and itll continuously click on
Old 04-25-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

ECM turning off and on for some reason?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 05HD
ECM turning off and on for some reason?
Im assuming so. I cant figure out why tho. It happens even when i switch out ECU's tho.... figure that one out
Old 04-26-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Hey, I'm new to this but: Would someone, anyone please explain how a bad relay could cause this symptom?

Al
Old 04-26-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

if the piece ofmetel inside the relay got to hot at some point and melted it so it can touch just enough to turn it on and off repediatly. I see this on A/c relay when people hot wire them or try and bypass something else the clutch will short cycle like low on freon and the system will be full. take the relay apart and its melted in a way it can still pass current and wont switch off causeing it to turn on and off over and over again.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

if the piece ofmetel inside the relay got to hot at some point and melted it so it can touch just enough to turn it on and off repediatly. I see this on A/c relay when people hot wire them or try and bypass something else the clutch will short cycle like low on freon and the system will be full. take the relay apart and its melted in a way it can still pass current and wont switch off causeing it to turn on and off over and over again.
So, explain why it doesn't do it with the key off? Or how it times the three seconds the pump is on? IMHO, it's NOT the relay.

Here is a quick test. Remove the relay. Rig a test lamp to the relay "coil" terminal and ground. Put it where you can see it from inside the car. Cycle the key and see what the relay is getting. I'd bet it getting the "turn on" signal from the PCM. Why is another problem. (If you do this and do not see the pulsing at the coil terminal, it might be problem that will only show up with the relay in, I'll explain if needed. Put a small wire in the "coil" hole and push the relay back in and test it again.) It could be getting some stray signal telling it the engine is cranking. I doubt the ignition power from the key switch is intermittent, if it was the engine would die and all kinds of PCM controlled stuff would also be intermittent. If you want to test that, a test light on the "PCM IGN." fuse will show it. It's also on the "A" terminal of the ICM. on the driver's side head right in front.

Basic trouble shooting is the way to go. Don't start chasing everyone's guess you'll just waste time.

Al
Old 04-26-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont do it when key off BC the PCM supplys voltage.
I was just saying to check the relay, It does supply power to the fuel system.

I also agree with proper diag, i post that more than anything else that diag will solve the issue not guessing. I have seen wierder things happen in a circuit and i just suggested checking the relay. Is that the issue IDK not in front of me to check it over. You ALWAYS check the easy stuff first. Fuses,relays, plugs.....
Old 04-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

I've been trying to figure out a similar problem with my car. Once you turn the key on, the pump cycles on, but never shuts off after the prime until you shut the car off. Is there a parameter in the PCM that can change that? Or do you think its a relay problem?

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Prime Issue...