Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front springs 1966 GTO

Old 03-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry front springs 1966 GTO

I am having a problem with front springs I am putting a LS-1 in a 1966 gto, I ordered 1966 chevelle small block springs thinking they should be close, either they gave me wrong springs, could be the wrong springs in box but they are at the top and if I jump on front they do not wiggle, anybody have any info on what springs they used before I have to order coil overs which is not in the budget
Old 03-26-2011, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default springs

My son and I are rebuilding a 1966 GTO using an LQ9/ T56. We had the same problem. Even with the iron block LQ9 engine, the car still had the "Gasser" look. I first rebuilt it using “stock” components, with 2 inch dropped front spindles and adapted 2000 Camaro ”big” brakes - the car looked good and this would probably work for you (Dropped Spindles). But I wanted to use more modern Castor/Camber settings, so switched the upper control arms out for adjustable ones made by Specialty Products Company and SPC dropped lower control arms and springs. These worked really well, and I would highly recommend this approach. If you want to see what it looked like, see entry 43 and 55 in my rebuild blog at Hotrodders.com. - go to the Projects portion, then go to the bottom of that page and click "see all journals" then look for "1966GTO" near the top.
Good luck with your project!
Ricky
Old 03-26-2011, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

If you used Hotchkiss 2 inch drop springs, it should sit just at normal stock ride level. The Ls motors take off so much weight the stock springs are way too strong.

Search this Thread