Sponsored by:

Hi, new to LS1, need motor advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, new to LS1, need motor advice

Hi

I just bought a 2000 SS Camaro last week. To make a long story short, I didn't even get it home from signing the papers at the bank. I had it towed to my mechanic and they are recommending a new engine. They are recommending a NEW LS1 longblock. I have seen other discuss getting the LS6 for not much more, but my question is if the intake, etc from my LS1 will fit. I'm already spending about $5K getting the LS1 installed, so another $500 wouldn't matter much, but another $1500 would.

I can't seem to find the right long block combo as my mechanic online. The one they selected basically came with everything. Water pump, oil pan etc. Just need to swap over the intake, injectors, etc. They priced it at $2899 which I thought was fair. Also getting a new radiator and starter.

Protip: when buying a used car with a 'possible' water pump problem, don't trust the opinion of the seller and definitely check the coolant level before leaving town!

So LS6 swap easy with leftover LS1 parts, or do I need a new intake and other stuff? I'll probably just stick with the LS1 if it's too many more new parts.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry about your bad luck, that sux. The price for that LS long block seems pretty good, if it comes with a warranty thats even better. You can buy an LS6 intake all day long for 300-350 and in all reality, that and better flowing heads were the real difference between the LS1 and LS6, there were some changes in manufacturing, mainly an oil passage on the back of the block. Nothing that is going to affect your situation. Hope this helps some. Is there a way you can find out any details on the replacement engine, You should have centerbolt valvecovers on yours not the older perimeter style, that is one of the differences between the older LS and newer ones. I would try to get a little more info.

Last edited by RARON455; 03-26-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

If you go with an ls6 use the ls6 intake manifold.also consider getting another mechanics opinion.all the work he is talking about doing might not be really needed and a well built ls1 will perform better than an poorly built ls6.Do your research before you spend any big money.Good luck.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Default thanks for the replies

I should clarify, this is a NEW LS1 the mechanic will be installing. They said they might be able to salvage the engine in the car, but pulling it and tearing it down would be a bunch of labor. I'm OK with getting a new motor, and since there's no core charge, I'll get the old one to take home and play with. When it over heated on the way home. I pulled over immediately. I let the car sit for about 30 minutes and tried to start it. It acted like it was locked and would not even turn over. Just the starter grinding on the flywheel. The mechanic said when he looked at it the starter was broken, and there was a chunk of aluminum cracked on the block where the starter bolts in.

This replacement they are recommending comes with a 3 year / 100K warrantee. Of course, I don't know the history of the car at all so hopefully I don't have other issues!

I think the original motor is salvagable, but the cost of removing it and tearing it down to see doesn't seem worth the risk, having to weld the starter mount back and not knowing if there are any cracks in it. I do have a 96 v6 camaro that needs a motor...

Last edited by barkeep8; 03-26-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

if you can afford it get a badass stroker motor.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RARON455
Sorry about your bad luck, that sux. The price for that LS long block seems pretty good, if it comes with a warranty thats even better. You can buy an LS6 intake all day long for 300-350 and in all reality, that and better flowing heads were the real difference between the LS1 and LS6, there were some changes in manufacturing, mainly an oil passage on the back of the block. Nothing that is going to affect your situation. Hope this helps some. Is there a way you can find out any details on the replacement engine, You should have centerbolt valvecovers on yours not the older perimeter style, that is one of the differences between the older LS and newer ones. I would try to get a little more info.
Thanks for the advice. The mechanic said he searched for the engine using the VIN for my car, and that it is a new crate engine. I asked specifically if it was an LS1. I did not inquire about an LS6 yet. I'll ask about that, and the details of the engine they recommend.

So if I decide on an LS6, do I just need an intake to do the swap? Electronics and everything else or do I need to tune my ECU also?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

If you can get a new/reman LS1 for $2800, thats not bad. But you might consider pulling yours and letting a local REPUTABLE machine shop check it for a possible rebuild. You can get one overhauled for less than 2800 and throw a cam in it that is still daily drivable. Or you can call LKQ and get a LQ9 iron 6.0l thay will hold more power in the future, net you more cubic inches, and the 317 heads are very close to LS6 castings, just with larger combustion chambers. Thats just my $.02. IF it was me...I would check it out internally first, if able to be rebuilt, I would reuse the crank and rods (if a rod wasnt bent when it seized), get some decently price forged pistons, a cam kit from Texas Speed which is one of the greatest LS based companies in the country to deal with, and find a good used set of LS6 heads, or get those from Texas Speed also. In the end youll probably come out dead even, or at the worst MAYBE a little on the higher side, but youll have a 400whp daily driver thats unique to you. Good luck man, hope you have fun in the process. Bad days can ALWAYS turn into good ones, their what you make of them!

Last edited by GoatPilot87; 03-27-2011 at 10:05 AM. Reason: mispelled words
Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

From what I've read, LS1 to LS6 swap, you don't need to do anything other than drop it in and make sure everything is connected. You want an LS6 intake manifold because it flows better than the LS1. The link I added also sells long blocks, and all you'd need to do is move over your intake and accessories. They're prices seem good to me, but I've heard they used to be a lot better.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Id pick up lower mileage LS1 shortblock and throw a nice heads and cam ontop...probably wouldnt end up being that much more(if at all) if you shop around and buy used parts.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nice little project on your hands!! Build you a built motor if you can afford it for sure!!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the car is not your daily I would just wait until you can find a decent deal on an engine. I picked up a complete 2002 LS1 drop out w/ 8k miles , 228 /230 cam , upgraded valve train and under drive pulley for $1800. The guy also gave me all of his stock parts with engine as well ( LS6 clutch & Pulley w/belts, etc...) I already had a fast intake and PRC 5.3 heads so I did pretty well selling the top of the engine.

When I was looking to get my shortblock rebuilt it was ~$3000 + install. If you can get a reman long block for $2800 I would take it if waiting is not an option.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the great responses! I committed to just installing a new LS1 today. Since it's a new motor, I will get my original back. This way I will have one I can go through and play with. The LS6 was just outta my price range, and I wanna get on the road as soon as possible.

I have a 96 v6 camaro also... Maybe my 'spare' LS1 can go in there lol...

Gotta say I really respect this online community! Only been here a couple of days and you guys really helped with good advice! Thanks!
Old 03-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice man. Btw I was looking through the photos here online aNd your car stuck out cause mine is the same color. I really like the blackened wheels and the halos. Where did you get your lights? Did you paint/powder coat your wheels or buy black ones?

Take it easy man
Old 03-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Default Awesome link. Thanks

Originally Posted by majeskyb
From what I've read, LS1 to LS6 swap, you don't need to do anything other than drop it in and make sure everything is connected. You want an LS6 intake manifold because it flows better than the LS1. The link I added also sells long blocks, and all you'd need to do is move over your intake and accessories. They're prices seem good to me, but I've heard they used to be a lot better.
Awesome information. Thank you.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Default reviving old thread... :)

Just thought I'd update this thread.

I got my car back in May after having a new engine (LS1) radiator, clutch, flywheel, starter and AC compressor installed.

Over the summer, I broke in the new engine, replaced the battery, changed the oil after the first 750 miles and then every 3000.

I had several small issues over the summer, but it was enjoyable having a fast fun car to drive again. I've put a little over 5000 miles on the new engine and been pretty happy with it.

I ended up putting the car back stock with an LS1 engine and clutch. In retrospect, I wish I had opted for the LS7 clutch. I asked my mechanic about it, but he wasn't comfortable ordering parts that were different from spec.

Anyway, I am hoping to get good recommendations for tires and how to deal with upgrading the rest of the car, starting from the rear and moving forward.

Is it more appropriate to start new threads for individual questions, or just ask them all at once, or keep this thread going?
Old 10-09-2011, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

I would use the search function and look at the stickies on top of the page. This sight has been around along time. There is so much info floating around here and other places, you can pretty much find any info for any question you can ask.