Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Questions on the Cleaning of a Disassembled Motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions on the Cleaning of a Disassembled Motor

Well this is uncharted territory to me, but I'm determined to do what I can with this build by myself for the education if anything. This a 2002 aluminum LS1.

I'm cleaning as I'm disassembling, so really just figuring it out as I go. My question is should I do the cleaning part on my own or have everything (block, heads, rotating assembly... All dissasmbled and cleaned each) hot tanked? I figure it to cost ~$40 to be done...? Or am I way off?

Or should I be fine just doing the whole thing myself with some mineral spirits?

I'm a big believer in doing it once, doing it right. So I don't want to clean the whole thing myself and find that I should have just had it "done right". I don't mind cleaning it at all as I find it fun... Just not so much fun when it's not right

Thanks,
-Tyler
Old 03-27-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also would like to know the answer to this i as well am going to be doing the same thing. good luck to you
Old 03-27-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Just realized I put this in the wrong section. Oops. Regardless, LS1 or LS7 or LS854... What's the best way?
Old 03-28-2011, 06:44 AM
Launching!

Have it tanked AFTER all the galley plugs are removed. Then go through everything with hot, soapy water and gun bore brushes. Coat the bores with tranny fluid until assembly time, then clean 'em until a lint-free white towel comes out white.

Quick Reply: Questions on the Cleaning of a Disassembled Motor