Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question headers

i hace a few questions if anyone can help me out. i have an 02 z28 and i wanna do headers butnot sure what i wanna do i hear different stories about longtubes. some ppl say its not worth putting longtubes do to the no cats and motor going into limp mode of something like that.. and some say do it.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go for it. Pacesetter longtubes are popular and fairly inexpensive. If you go for the off road version, which most guys do, you'll need to get the EGR and O2 sensor codes removed when it gets tuned. It won't go into limp in mode but the check engine light will be on until you get these codes tuned out.

Definitely worth it to put long tubes on followed by the catback of your choice.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bramlok
Go for it. Pacesetter longtubes are popular and fairly inexpensive. If you go for the off road version, which most guys do, you'll need to get the EGR and O2 sensor codes removed when it gets tuned. It won't go into limp in mode but the check engine light will be on until you get these codes tuned out.

Definitely worth it to put long tubes on followed by the catback of your choice.
yea i just ordered the slp loudmouth 1 off ebay right now but not sure if i should go with a 3inch y do to bottoming out on my stock y.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:46 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JG25
i hace a few questions if anyone can help me out. i have an 02 z28 and i wanna do headers butnot sure what i wanna do i hear different stories about longtubes. some ppl say its not worth putting longtubes do to the no cats and motor going into limp mode of something like that.. and some say do it.
Headers are fine. I am helping a fellow member as we speak put a set of Kooks in his 01 WS.6

They are completely worth it, spend for stainless. Screw pacesetter, get a quality header as with the way its bent varies from companies and some of the crappier designs require either grinding for clearence or removing motor mounts. It all varies.

If your not running cats and all your emissions, you will need to get things like the AIR pump shut off or the rear o2's shut off as the PCM will notice things not being right. But thats all tuneable.

Getting stuff apart the first time is the major part as there is just goofy factory stuff like with getting the coil packs offand you have a studded nut with another nut sandwhiching a bracket on top of it.

Just make sure when the headers go in there, you get the car high enough to angle them in. Also you may need to remove the oil filter and drain plug as with trying to get the header angled correctly but its no big issue.

I just hate factory header bolts that have never been removed, those things are tight as ****.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 03-28-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

you cant get wrong with LTs. get stainless.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

They are worth it without a doubt.

You cannot use the stock Y with LT headers though, you'll need to buy one (if the headers you get doesnt come with one) or get one custom fab'd up.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Your getting some bad info...LT's add grood power, and you can choose to either run a catted setup or not.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default No grinding/hacking headers

I've asked this question several times and I've never gotten a clear answer...is there any header that slips right in without any grinding or hacking, especially of the steering knuckle?
Old 03-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Internet Mechanic

Steering knuckle is considered optional, sometimes you move it, sometimes you dont. My Dynatechs required nothing to get it.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:07 PM
FormerVendor

Adding headers is one of the best mods you can do dollar for dollar. If you don't drive the car much you can get away with a cheaper header but if you drive it a lot you'd better go with a stainless steel header. I recomend ARH. Not a huge fan of Krooks over here. Check out the group purchase page, I've got the lowest possible prices allowed on ARH right now.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BBK makes a good header for our cars, not many people use but the installation was sooo easy they just slid right in. and they also come with their own y-pipe as well.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It isn't always the brand of headers when you are talking fit and ease of installation. Sometimes the cars are ever-so-slightly different. What slides in perfect on one car may require more effort on another. From what I've read, the AR Headers and Kooks have VERY few fitment issues, and tuck up very nicely.

Longtube headers are definitely worth the money. Going with or without cats is a decision for the individual. Personally, I have the AR Headers and no cats on the Y, but I want to buy the catted Y now... I also run the Magnaflow catback to complete my stainless exhaust setup. Gotta get what lasts when you live in the rust belt...
Old 04-01-2011, 08:15 AM

Headers on these cars are a waste of money , 12.20's Gm full oem exhaust on my 2000 z. save ur money and get your self at good converter
Old 04-01-2011, 08:15 AM

Stall Converter that is
Old 04-01-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by misterscary
Headers on these cars are a waste of money , 12.20's Gm full oem exhaust on my 2000 z. save ur money and get your self at good converter
... according to the OP's bio, his car is manual...

Anyway to the OP. On my previous car I had bought 2 year old pacesetter headers. I got them for $200. They had some surface rust, but functioned great. The headers fit flawlessly with no issues at all. I ran them for another year and a half with no problems. I also did the poly motor mounts at the time, which i suggest you do when you have the headers off anyway. Pacesetters IMO are the only cheap header you should go with. Their biggest downfall is not being stainless though. If you want stainless I do suggest to shell out some cash and go with the ARH. Also if you do buy new... most of these headers will come with some type of Y. I strongly suggest you spend the extra money for a catted Y. My old car I had no cats, and I was not pleased with the rasp, which I know was due to having no cats.

Also about that loudmouth you ordered. I know 2 friends just locally that had that exhaust, and were not happy with it after adding headers. You are going to want some kind of muffler on that set-up.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chaos07
BBK makes a good header for our cars, not many people use but the installation was sooo easy they just slid right in. and they also come with their own y-pipe as well.
+1 i got mine for 360 shipped, took 2 hours to get them on comes with y pipe too
Old 04-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by udienow
... according to the OP's bio, his car is manual...

Anyway to the OP. On my previous car I had bought 2 year old pacesetter headers. I got them for $200. They had some surface rust, but functioned great. The headers fit flawlessly with no issues at all. I ran them for another year and a half with no problems. I also did the poly motor mounts at the time, which i suggest you do when you have the headers off anyway. Pacesetters IMO are the only cheap header you should go with. Their biggest downfall is not being stainless though. If you want stainless I do suggest to shell out some cash and go with the ARH. Also if you do buy new... most of these headers will come with some type of Y. I strongly suggest you spend the extra money for a catted Y. My old car I had no cats, and I was not pleased with the rasp, which I know was due to having no cats.

Also about that loudmouth you ordered. I know 2 friends just locally that had that exhaust, and were not happy with it after adding headers. You are going to want some kind of muffler on that set-up.
yea i have lt's ory and lm1, buy the catted y or put a magnaflow bullet(or whatever) in the i pipe
Old 04-01-2011, 09:42 AM

I guess I should read the bio. Any ways if its auto or manual its all in the tune. Sound dont get u fast.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Does GMMG work good with headers? I would assume so, but just wondering since they're similar to the SLP LM1/2 but then again it's chambered, so think that's the big difference.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Go with the LT's definitely a bigger difference something I didn't do..I went shorties because of C.A.R.B...my brothers LT1 is a whole new beast with LT's catted Y and LM2 with the CCE chambered muffler instead of the LM2 bullet. The LT+ Loudmouth without a cat is annoying and raspy.

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
Does GMMG work good with headers? I would assume so, but just wondering since they're similar to the SLP LM1/2 but then again it's chambered, so think that's the big difference.
I would say any catback will work fine..GMMG does produce rasp with LT's but some just put on cats and it goes away... I personally love the sound of GMMG on stock mani's and on LT's its a completely different monster all together.