Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C Tensioner

so my car makes a noise and i want it gone. iv been told by lots of people and a mechanic that its my A/C Tensioner so i have some questions

1. should i just replace the tensioner and if so how hard is it to do myself and could some one point me in the direction of where to buy one and about how much

2. Should i just do an A/C delete (im going to the track alot this year so could save some weight and i DONT care about ac in the first place) and same as above about how much work and where and how much do they run

i have done some reserch but seems everybody does the delete a different way

and in general which one is the fastest and easiest because time and money are big factors
Old 03-29-2011, 01:06 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

If you just want the noise to go away, and/or you want to test to make sure that the noise is coming from the A/C belt system, just remove the belt for the A/C. You can then choose to leave it without the belt, delete all of it, or just fix it later.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it is the tensioner it isnt hard to replace at all, jack up the car, put on jack stands, take off serp belt, then unbolt the tensioner you want to replace, re bolt new one in, and put your belts back on, you can get them from autozone with pulley for $50 and like rpm said i would just make sure its that, i had an squeak and it turned out to be valvoline put on the wrong width belt.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar issue on my old car. If I remember correctly it was the AC idler pulley. However the bolt that holds that down is a torx bit bolt, not a regular bolt. I do believe its a T50 size, i may be mistaken though. I tried to take this bolt out but it just ended up stripping cause torx bits are the worst stupidest design ever. After failing I just gave up and took the A/C belt off and left it like that. I never used AC either and it was a 1 min, $0 job to remove the belt, which I already had off to try to get that idler pulley off anyway. But if its the tensioner, that shouldnt be that hard. You should be able to get a new tensioner at an auto parts store... but if you are looking for maximal time and money savings... simply remove the belt, as RPM said.

Quick Reply: A/C Tensioner