Sponsored by:

Running on 5 cylinders 1,7 and 8 aren't firing

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running on 5 cylinders 1,7 and 8 aren't firing

How are you guys doing,

I just recently swapped in an lq4 t56 into my 69 Camaro, and have fired it up. The only problem is that I ran it for a minute or so and went to check for leaks etc. and it seemed to not want to idle right and run rough. So I went and put the back of my hand next to each header pipe and found out that cylinders 1,7,and 8 are cool and the others are hot. I pulled the plugs from each cylinder and they look glossy so I am thinking its not the injectors. I just installed new plug wires and went over all the connections. So I tried swapping around the coil packs and its the same thing. I was wondering/hoping some one else had a similar problem through the search but nothing came up so I'm posting to see if anyone can help.

Thanks
Tom
Old 03-29-2011, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

How long have the injs/engine been sitting since run last??? [During the transplant]
A noid lite on each inj plug will help eliminate a wiring problem.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Check the injector plug for injector pulse. If it has pulse then check for spark at the plug. If it has spark then more then likely you have a bad injector. If you have the equipment do a drop test on the injectors to see if they are working.
Good luck keep us updated.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Default Re:

Well I pulled the rail and injectors today and to say the least they look like ****, so I'm gonna replace the injectors and hopefully that cures it, I'm thinking that the injectors for those cylinders that weren't firing were probably gummed up beyond squirting and the other injectors are probably barely working at best from all the gunk that was on them. When I get new injectors I'll update you on my progress.

Thanks again,
Tom
Old 03-29-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

you can always swap the injectors around too, but sounds like you got it figured out.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Talking yep..

Originally Posted by WVUSierraC3
Well I pulled the rail and injectors today and to say the least they look like ****, so I'm gonna replace the injectors and hopefully that cures it, I'm thinking that the injectors for those cylinders that weren't firing were probably gummed up beyond squirting and the other injectors are probably barely working at best from all the gunk that was on them. When I get new injectors I'll update you on my progress.

Thanks again,
Tom
I see that frequently, when I clean/flow junkyard engine injs...They sell an engine, and the customer complains....I get the injs to "revive"...Some work, some don't!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You found it..Yes, what I thought the injectors caused. Next time be careful with buy used LS engine.

Quick Reply: Running on 5 cylinders 1,7 and 8 aren't firing