Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll Bar question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 03:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll Bar question

I want to get my car into the low 10s and i only want to install a roll bar once. From what i have read thru searches. the wolfe 6pt bar will pass NHRA. Im going to go Chrome Moly and my question is this. Is the Low slung side bar still legal? i know that the swing out is legal because its a strait bar, but i want the rigidity of a solid mount with the ease of getting in and out(daily driver). But yeah, are the low slung sides nhra legal(elbow rule)?(im 6ft tall if that matters.)also if i wanted to push into the high 9's what would be required to add to the 6pt.
thanks
S
Old 02-18-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00Streak
I want to get my car into the low 10s and i only want to install a roll bar once. From what i have read thru searches. the wolfe 6pt bar will pass NHRA. Im going to go Chrome Moly and my question is this. Is the Low slung side bar still legal? i know that the swing out is legal because its a strait bar, but i want the rigidity of a solid mount with the ease of getting in and out(daily driver). But yeah, are the low slung sides nhra legal(elbow rule)?(im 6ft tall if that matters.)also if i wanted to push into the high 9's what would be required to add to the 6pt.
thanks
S
You can't have shaved door handles and run at most tracks btw.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Launching!

What if i have window down with a net..or better yet a kevlar or cable pull cord..??? there is a way.. there has to be. maybe a hidden but functional door handle.. like underneath. cause if not then it looks like i have a long life of street racing(oxymoron????? maybe) ahead of me..
S
Old 02-18-2004, 04:51 PM
10 Second Club

I have heard of tracks allowing cars with shaved door handles to run. They have to have a pull cord attached to a manual poper. However I have also heard that many guys are absolutly not allowed to run so I think certain tracks are letting people slip through on street night.

BTW: I jsut purchased a wolfe 6pt. If the rear bars are welded to the main hoop the bar is 100% NHRA legal so I think that low slung bars are not an issue. They do make a front half kit to convert their 6pt roll bars to 10pt cages. And FWIW you might want to look at the mild steel 6pt, mine weighs in at 75lbs with hardware so it's kind of hard to justify the extra $300 for a chromoly cage that is 60lbs.

Last edited by GM Muscle; 02-18-2004 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:17 PM
Launching!

ok kewl, thanks for the replys, is that the only weight difference between mild sttel and chrome moly 15lbs?? but think of the strength, thats where the money is spent.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:13 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't think there's a huge strength issue between chrome-moly and steel, just the weight and diameter of tubing difference.
According to the NHRA rulebook the driver bar must pass the driver at a point midway between the shoulder and the elbow. So a real low door bar won't pass usually.

Derek
Old 02-18-2004, 06:31 PM
Launching!

anyone have shots of the wolfe 6pt drivers side with the low slung bar in an fbod? im just wanting to make sure Ill pass, i guess i could put a strait on on the drivers side and a low slung one on the passenger side(that way the gf dont have a hard time getting in).. yall think that would work??? or is it not good to differ on the sides?
S