Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

HELP! driveshaft vibration and no speedo after cluch change

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! driveshaft vibration and no speedo after cluch change

My mechanic dropped the driveshaft in my car when replacing the clutch and some other things including the engine and trans mounts. Now I have 2 issues:

1) My main concern is that I have a bad vibration in the driveshaft. It feels out of balance or something and is really bad when just starting out or lower RPM. It appears that he installed it the same way but he couldn't tell for sure as he did not mark it, just went by some marks when he had to pry it/ tap it off on the back.

2) Now the speedo is not working.

I leave in 2 days for a family vacation so I need to fix these issues. Help or advice would be appreciated, They were both fine. I saw a thread about repacking the bearings in the driveshaft? As far as speedo goes, nothing appears broke or disconnected. Engine was dropped from car on cradle.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Driveshafts are indexed. Mine had vibration until rotated

VSS cable on passenger side of transmission might not be plugged in properly or at all causing speedo issue. I think its on the passenger side at least...
Old 03-30-2011, 05:22 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The speedo plug is most likely plugged into the incorrect sensor. There are a couple that use the same connector.

Depending on the mounts you installed, they may be the cause of your vibration. I would first index the driveshaft one bolt hole (120 deg) and see if that helps. If not, look at what type of mounts you installed.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:54 AM
TECH Regular

The trans temp sensor can easily be plugged into the vss sensor. They are probably switched around. Also, rotate the driveshaft until the vibration stops. The driveshaft is indexed, and should be marked before removal so that it is reinstalled in the same position to avoid vibration.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:08 AM
Launching!

What clutch did you install? Mine just had really bad chatter - I thought it was the driveshaft, but it went away after I beat on it (after break in of course.)

Quick Reply: HELP! driveshaft vibration and no speedo after cluch change