Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Just installed G2 LCAs & Brackets

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just installed G2 LCAs & Brackets

I just have to say two things:

- Wow what a difference! These are awesome.

- Wow, these things are loud. (over bumps)

Last edited by smash; 02-18-2004 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smash
I just have to say two things:

- Wow what a difference! These are awesome.

- Wow, these things are loud.
They shouldn't be loud. Mine are dead silent. Make sure you torqued everything down with the suspension loaded (tires on the ground or on Rhino ramps)
Old 02-18-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

I'll second that - under normal driving they should only be slightly louder than stock if at all. In addition to tightening with weight on the suspension, make sure you have the rod end (axle side) tight. I think mine are around 90 ft-lb.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea 90 ft/lbs is good
Old 02-18-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

90 ft/lbs is a good number.

But, remember, you are squeezing against metal bushings now. You can put 500 ft/lbs of torque and it will not affect a heim joint. Also, make sure the jam nuts are tight.

I'm not sure which LCAs you have ... rod/rod or rod/poly LCAs.

Rod/poly should have the poly end on the chassis and the rod end on the diff.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have LGM poly/rod LCA's and PHR. I jacked my car up from the pumpkin of the diff. and installed them that way and then torqued them. That is the same thing as having the suspension loaded right? Mine are VERY loud as well, to the point actually that I am ready to put the stockers back on. I don't drag race anyway and I think I will get traction just fine with my nitto drags. It just doesn't seem worth it. Every bump I hit makes me cringe, I even cringe when I SEE an uneven road surface before I get to it. So what difference does it make when you torque them down with the suspension loaded or unloaded? I didn't use a torque wrench either. I just tightened them until I couldn't go any further. Should I untighten them and then torque them down again with a torque wrench just to be safe?

I was also wondering why the LCA's are adjustable? Everyone just told me to adjust them to the factory length so what's the point? I also forgot the benefit of having the rod ends... I think it was because they don't deflect/bind up under hard cornering??? Is that right? I did notice a little better cornering because now I notice my body roll. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

- Wow, these things are loud. (over bumps)
What are all of us doing wrong here? I used to be on of the few, now I am becoming more of a norm for bang-bang G2 lcas. I installed mine, loaded the rear, then torqued the **** out of everything I could, what else is left? Surely there is something that we are doing wrond, since many people are claiming silence.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Honestly, I wondering the same thing
Old 02-19-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

glitch, with all due respect, I see you complain a lot about your LCA's - what have you done to try and fix your problem? Have you checked your rod ends? Are you positive that the LCAs are the culprit (as opposed to the PHR, etc)? Its a pretty simple piece of equipment after all and there are only so many things that can be "wrong".

IMO "noise" is a funny thing since its subjective. I haven't heard the cars that are making noise with the G2 LCAs, not implying that it isn't true - just that I haven't heard it. To me mine seem pretty damn quiet for what amounts to a very direct connection to the rear axle. Maybe its all just perspective and some folks that are running heim joints and then complaining of noise ought to be using more isolating rubber bushings like the factory installed in the first place. Its pretty obvious to me (not being very smart even) that bolting a steel tube to a steel axle containing spinning gears and bouncing over the roadway with a polyurethane bushing and a heim joint WILL in fact transmit more vibration than one mounted with rubber isolators. Maybe this is just one of the tradeoffs that have to be addressed when modifying your car.

Otherwise if you have loud LCAs and a friend has the same LCAs and they're quiet then I would question the installation, tolerances, wear, etc., ya know, basic troubleshooting practice.

Just my opinion...
Old 02-19-2004, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Those complaining of noise with their LGA G2 LCAs, what are you defining as NOISE? What type of noise, road noise, rattles, clunks, clanks, vibrations,etc?
Old 02-19-2004, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SStolen

I was also wondering why the LCA's are adjustable?
With my Moser 12 bolt the LCAs had to be longer for some reason. When I put in a 10 bolt I had to shorten them A LOT!
Old 02-19-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

glitch and I have "debated" this issue on occasion.

The "noise" mine make is acceptable. Especially when realized the difference over the POS BMR poly crap.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

I'd describe my noise as: the sound you hear when walking on snow, or scrunching up a bunch of packing foam.

To make it do 'the noise', I can simply bounce the rear a little by pushing on the trunk.

I put some grease in 'em tonight, though they are supposed to be pre-greased. I'll let you know how that works out.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:14 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

I had the same noises from my rear when I went over bumps, or simply moved the rear end of my car by pushing on the trunk.

It turned out to be the rod end on my PHR. Do you have an aftermarket one on your car?

FWIW, I tightened the nuts near the adjutable part of the rod end extremely tight, and that prevented the parts from moving therefore stopping the noises.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

They seem to have quieted down a bit after I added grease. Each LCA took some, so maybe they didn't get greased, or not enough.... they could be settling in some too.

I've got a stock PHB (until I put the G2 PHB on that's sitting in my dining room)
Old 02-20-2004, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mine don't make any of the noise as you have described on yours, weird.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:33 PM
master of the "jack"stand

I have Billingley dual rod end LCAs. They make a "clunk" sound going over a sharp bump, and a clickle-clack sound going over continuous small bumps, or gravel. I guess it is what you would expect from metal to metal contact with the driveline to the chassis?
Old 02-20-2004, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChevyWeatherman
I have Billingley dual rod end LCAs. They make a "clunk" sound going over a sharp bump, and a clickle-clack sound going over continuous small bumps, or gravel. I guess it is what you would expect from metal to metal contact with the driveline to the chassis?
Clickle-clack sounds like worn out heim joints. My right rear G2 LCA made that noise when the heim joint was worn out. I replaced it with the same one, the QA1 XMR12, no noise again
Old 02-20-2004, 10:23 PM
master of the "jack"stand

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but you can wiggle the ball and there is no play..nice and tight. You just have to live with the fact that they are not rubber bushings, there is no way around the noise. And if you have quiet rod ends, then you aren't driving on rough enough surfaces.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Might be on to something here ...

Originally Posted by ChevyWeatherman
but you can wiggle the ball and there is no play..nice and tight.
The term "wiggle" caught my attention ...

It's all I can do to "wiggle" the bearing in the mount with my finger. Damned tight. Do you concur?

Quick Reply: Just installed G2 LCAs & Brackets