LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

DHM Cutout questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DHM Cutout questions

Hey Folks,
I'm planning on getting one of DMH's 3" cutouts.

I'll be acquiring a set of Doug Thorley's exhaust headers (waiting for the call!!) and I hope I can do the header and cutout install at the same time.

I currently have a Hogan downpipe and a straight pipe (resonator delete) as potential candidates for the cutout location.

So, my questions are:

1. My preference is to put the cutout on the downpipe (i.e. in front of the cat); can this be done with the DT headers?

2. What length of cable for the wiring harness will I need? (it asks for a cable length on their form)

Thanks!

Wes

Last edited by wesdean78; 04-01-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

I installed a cutout on my 98 camaro and the only thing that worries me about what you wanna do is it could get too hot if its that close to the headers. As for wiring, you dont need much, but its always better to have too much than not enough. assuming its wired to a toggle switch (like mine was) you just need to find a good ground and power supply near where you want the switch, i used a 18 guage wire and ran it from the switch to the fusebox, but ofcourse its all your preference. also i bought mine from qtp
Old 03-30-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Just call the guy to place your order, don't fill out the form. Tell him you want to put the cutout by the rear pass side tire and you'll have a shitload of extra wire that you can bundle up and hide. Plus IF your cutout doesn't work where you want to put it(ie: not enough room, or you don't like how it looks/sits) then you can move it and have the extra cable already.

I ordered mine from him that way and I put it by the rear tire and he gave me PLENTY of extra so I could "hide" my switch.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Adamcc91
I installed a cutout on my 98 camaro and the only thing that worries me about what you wanna do is it could get too hot if its that close to the headers.
That's a great point about the heat. I hadn't considered it. It seems that putting the cutout after the cat on that nice long piece of straight pipe would be quick and easy and probably wouldn't be as affected by the heat. Thanks!

As for wiring, you dont need much, but its always better to have too much than not enough.
Yeah, I definitely agree.

also i bought mine from qtp
I looked at the QTP one, but what made my mind up for me was the 4 year warranty from DMH.

I also looked at the Race Ready one on Jegs because of their use of a key fob with a remote actuator:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Race-Ready/815/RCU07/10002/-1

I had sent the folks at DMH an email about two months ago asking if they've had any success marrying a remote control to the cutout but they never wrote back.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Wes

Last edited by wesdean78; 04-01-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ImpSS07
Just call the guy to place your order, don't fill out the form. Tell him you want to put the cutout by the rear pass side tire and you'll have a shitload of extra wire that you can bundle up and hide. Plus IF your cutout doesn't work where you want to put it(ie: not enough room, or you don't like how it looks/sits) then you can move it and have the extra cable already.

I ordered mine from him that way and I put it by the rear tire and he gave me PLENTY of extra so I could "hide" my switch.
Nice. I'll definitely do that.

Thanks!

Wes
Old 04-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

Default DMH Update

Just an update..

I ordered the electric cutout over the phone today. I asked about the temperature issue associated with being too close to the headers and their response indicated that they didn't think it would be an issue.

They did mention that by having it north of the catalytic converter, the O2 sensor would flip out as soon as you opened the cutout and recommended for that reason that they be placed after the cat.

They said that they typically give folks 10' of wiring which ought to be plenty.

I did happen to ask if they had any ideas on remote control (i.e. key fob) and he told me that they do in fact have a key fob unit that they're very happy with and it's made in the USA. It's not yet on the web site, so you'll have to give them a call if you're interested in ordering one:

(937) 444 - 0900

So, I ordered the cutout and the remote control unit. They said that it would ship on Monday and probably arrive on Wednesday.

DMH's web site is online at:

http://www.dmhperformance.com/ecutout.htm

I'll let everyone know how the installation goes. Judging by the pictures on their site, it's going to be pretty easy.

Wes
Old 04-01-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine is on my DP and when it opens it will set the code off but after a few cycles with it closed it goes away
Old 04-01-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Here's mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKOgMIkIWPc

How much was the remote control for the cutout if you don't mind me asking??

I'm really curious to see it and hear your opinion on it.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Here's mine
How much was the remote control for the cutout if you don't mind me asking??

I'm really curious to see it and hear your opinion on it.
Yeah, I'm excited. I watched your video and I was initially disappointed because of the clipping due to the volume, but I said (out loud) "Thank You!" when you added the second part further back.

The guy said $100 over the phone (for the remote; the cutout was still the normal price). The Race Ready unit on Jegs is $109, so that seams like a reasonable price.

I'm definitely going to take a few videos and post them.

I heard mixerda's video of his car with open headers and I was sold:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...-pics-lol.html

(I want that cam shaft.. it sounds awesome)

Wes
Old 04-02-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I took that with my poop camera too, I've been meaning to get some video with my T1i and see if it picks up the sound better.

$100 isn't a bad price, I'm just curious as to what it looks like.

Keep us informed!!
Old 04-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I took that with my poop camera too, I've been meaning to get some video with my T1i and see if it picks up the sound better.

$100 isn't a bad price, I'm just curious as to what it looks like.

Keep us informed!!
Absolutely. The idea of being able to open the cutout and then start the car from across the parking lot is definitely appealing to me.

Wes
Old 04-18-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Wes,

Any updates on the key fob for the cutout?? Pics?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:16 AM
Staging Lane

Hi..
I spoke with them on the phone yesterday (Monday, April 18th) and asked the situation. They said that they had been waiting on their supplier to send them the Flowtech cutouts (i.e. the non-mechanical piece) they needed. Their order just arrived that day and that they were going to ship my unit later that day or the next (i.e. today), depending on how fast they could get it boxed up.

I did a quick search on Google to find alternative suppliers of those Flowtech parts and they're generally around $40..$45 (DMH charges $40 if you want the Flowtech from them). I called a few of them and for the most part, they seem to have the parts in stock. Here's one of the guys I called:

http://msperformanceonline.com/53031.html

From the pictures, it looks like the electric piece just bolts onto the otherwise unmodified end of the cutout.

All of that said, if I had to do this again, it would have been much faster if I had purchased the electrical / mechanical components from DMH and the cutout from another vendor. However, doing so may have an adverse effect on DMH's 4 year warranty and it would would cost a little more.

The guy from DMH was very apologetic over the phone and indicated that their difficulty in getting the parts they need from their supplier is hurting their business. Unfortunately, I think that he's right--it's been a frustrating wait.

So, no pictures yet... (I'm waiting on my supplier!)

Sorry!!

Wes
Old 04-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

I received the cutout this morning (it may have been delivered on Friday, but I wasn't at my office). I'll be installing the cutout on Wednesday after which I'll be able to take a video with some sound.

Here are some pictures I took with my cell phone.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

Hmmm, I think I like that remote! I like the fact that you still have the option of using the switch inside.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Remote is a cool idea for sure!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

The cutout is installed--it's right in front of the rear passenger wheel. It sounds AWESOME! The switch is mounted right under the steering wheel.

I took two videos 10 and 20 feet behind the car with a couple of engine revs before the headers and cutout were installed and I hope to repeat that with the closed (and open!) cutout some time this weekend. I'll post the videos in case anybody cares.

Wes
Old 04-30-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

I care!

Do you have the fob hooked up too? Maybe make one with the car idling and you opening and closing it with the fob.

I'm curious as to what kind of range those things have.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

I'll post some videos, but after hearing the engine rev with the cutout open, I think the sounds going to clip no matter what I do.

By the way, the car sounds AWESOME!! It is so loud..

Whoever came up with the idea of an exhaust cutout deserves a hug or something!

Wes

Quick Reply: DHM Cutout questions