Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

74 Nova LS swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 74 Nova LS swap questions

Hello I am from http://www.stevesnovasite.com/. First of all I have a 1974 Chevy Nova Hatchback and I would like to swap to an LS engine. I want to say this car is about 98% stock from its original. Stock 350 engine and 350 tranny, all round drum brakes, and stock suspension that is kept up a little bit in some areas. bought the car over a year and half ago and it was nice. It's my daily driver and after driving it for a year you can really feel the engine getting tired compared to when I first got it (I think 198k miles on it total). Now onto what I want to do which is an LS swap but with a budget. Would 5.3L be a good choice or should I go with 6.0? I would like to swap to manual tranny but I dont think my budget would allow me to do that right now. And what would all I need to get it completed?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Suggest you research the FAQ section on the X-Body swap..

But 5.3 or 6.0, either will be a great upgrade to what you currently have. Suggest you buy a complete kit if possible. Cuts the problems out of matching and mixing parts. Go with what your budget allows you to. But if your going to start mod'ing for HP. suggest you go 6.0 to start with, the 4" bore opens out to better heads (that are cheaper).

To Bad Edelbrock stopped making Headers, else they would have been my pick for the mounts and headers. BRP makes a complete kit, but a bit pricey.

But all of the info you need is really in the FAQ.. and you know that the 1st gen F-Body info is the same (for the most parts).
Old 03-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Would 3k be enough for an LS swap? If not, I'll have a bigger budget at the end of this year.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Read the $1,500 swap faq.. it can be done. but you have to have some skills to do everything your self.. and reusing what you can.

a few key items that should be included in your research and budget. You can cut cost by not using HP and Bling stuff..

Drive shaft cost
Plates
pumpl, filter (Vette FPR), fuel lines and connectors (skip AN)
Transmission lines
Radiator, fans and hoses
Redoing a wiring harness.
Wait4meperformance used to do a mail tune for $85.00 that will help.

But read some of the other swap.. you will then figure out what you might need to out source vs doing yourself.

good luck
BC
Old 03-31-2011, 02:09 AM
Teching In

Ok thank you. Now what about the dash cluster? Would I be able to use my original one or have to get new gauges and modify the dash cluster. I have looked around and seen people get gauges from speedhut but I wasnt sure if you have to do that.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fortune
Ok thank you. Now what about the dash cluster? Would I be able to use my original one or have to get new gauges and modify the dash cluster. I have looked around and seen people get gauges from speedhut but I wasnt sure if you have to do that.
depends on what trans you go with. if you stay stock than you can reuse the cluster. a tach isnt necessary but i like to have them. at minimum youll need an oil pressure gauge and water temp. a complete set of autometers like i have can easily set you back 800 bucks. just plan according to your budget.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:32 AM

Default 74 Nova LS swap questions

I had a handful of guys wanting more info on how to swap in an LS-series of engine on a limited budget. I do these conversions pretty much for a living and will try and help shed some light on installing one of these in about anything on the lowest budget possible.First off a little about the engines I will be referring to. In my world I refer to either the 4.8, 5.3, 5.7 or 6.0 engines as LS1 as they share the same platform and most parts with the actual 5.7 aluminum RPO LS1 engines.The LS1 conversion radiators are built with the correct inlet and outlet required for the engine swap.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you symond...

fortune-
You're probably going to limit yourself to the engine only for $3k. Check out frojoe's build if you want to go this route, though overdrive is a WONDERFUL thing.

Make sure you get the engine complete, including harness, TB, throttle pedal (if drive-by-wire), accessory brackets, etc. You can get OEM exhaust manifolds to fit (not sure which though, check the X body thread), and modify your own harness (www.lt1swap.com). Fuel system can be done for pretty cheap using brass fittings and your existing hard line. You can make your own motor mount adapter plates for cheap, and the truck pan or F-body pan can be modified if you know someone who can TIG.

Trust me, it's not as hard as it seems, and the payoff is WELL worth it. I can guarantee you will not regret going LSx, plus you get a spot in the X Body Swap thread, which is pretty awesome in and of itself.

Quick Reply: 74 Nova LS swap questions