Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l65e tailshaft question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l65e tailshaft question

So I recently went to the track and long story short cracked my tailshaft. It is a 4l65e. My question is is it possible to use a 6 bolt tail shaft out of say a trailblazer or 1500 truck or maybe a s10 etc and use it along with a torque arm relocation kit. The price of a 1500 tailshaft from gm ia 67 dollars and the relocation kit is 230 before shipping. Where as the fbody tailshaft is 320. Prices r real close to similar yet the relocation kit will garuntee me to not run into this problem again. If anyone has any more information on this I would really appreciate it. Sorry if this is an old topic.. I looked for a while but couldn't find anything. Thanks chris
Old 03-31-2011, 06:17 AM

Chris as long as you relocate the torque arm you can run a regular 6 bolt tail. HTH Vince
Old 03-31-2011, 11:14 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Where are you getting your prices?
First off it helps to ask for the right part. You're talking about a tailhousing.
I sold two 6 bolt f body tail housings on ebay for $50-$65.
I bought a complete f body 3.8 4L60E off craigslist for $30 that had a good tail housing on it.

Whether you mount the TA off the tail housing or not is up to you, but doing it because you got a price of $320 for a tail housing isn't the right reason.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Thanks vince. And im sorry for not typing that it was the housing.. im on a phone and was being short as possible. Cal ur local gm certified dealer and ask them for an fbody 4l"65"e tailshaft housing.not ur basic 4 bolt 4l60e housing which I have several laying around. I have quoted it at 3 dealers with all the same prices. And I am not trying to replace it this way for price.. im wanting to relocate the ta off the housing so that this doesn't happen again. If its going to help in the long run and life of the tailshaft and tranny then if it was 600 to relocate it it would still be worth it just to not run into the same issue.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 96monsta
Thanks vince. And im sorry for not typing that it was the housing.. im on a phone and was being short as possible. Cal ur local gm certified dealer and ask them for an fbody 4l"65"e tailshaft housing.not ur basic 4 bolt 4l60e housing which I have several laying around. I have quoted it at 3 dealers with all the same prices. And I am not trying to replace it this way for price.. im wanting to relocate the ta off the housing so that this doesn't happen again. If its going to help in the long run and life of the tailshaft and tranny then if it was 600 to relocate it it would still be worth it just to not run into the same issue.
They never put a 4L65E in a 4th gen f-body. Not that it matters.
I'd guarantee that the SIX BOLT tail housing I got off the $30 V6 transmission is just as strong as a brand new one.
Heres a picture of it below, doesn't look to be a four bolt to me.

This is especially important when talking on the phone, using the right name for the part.

Heres one on ebay right now for $85. Not mine. EBAY. It's pretty sad IMO that they describe the right part but get the application wrong. And they're a hardparts supplier.

Last edited by Jays_SSZ28; 01-30-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Actually you would be amazed at the people who refer to the late 4l60e as a 4l65e particularly core suppliers.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-31-2011, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Late model 4l60e's came with 6 bolts such as the picture u linked jay. earliers come with the 4 bolt which i am linking. The 6 bolt in technical terms is a 4l65e housing, amirite?. If u call ur local dealership and say i need a 4l60e housing, then chances are, they are going to give u a 4 bolt housing, exactly like they did at several transmission shops to me, which is not right for my transmission.. for the sake of conversation the housing i need is "late model 6 bolt 4l60e tailshaft housing"... but for ***** and giggles just cuz you think im lying about prices.. heres an example.. these arent even oem...

http://www.shiftworks.com/tailhousing.htm
Old 03-31-2011, 08:20 PM
Banned

Late model 4l60e's came with 6 bolts such as the picture u linked jay. earliers come with the 4 bolt which i am linking. The 6 bolt in technical terms is a 4l65e housing, amirite?.
What do you "technically" call this?
It came out of a 2002 camaro, has a six bolt tail housing, AND says 4L60E on it! MUST BE RARE! (or the usual when you've seen more than one)

If u call ur local dealership and say i need a 4l60e housing, then chances are, they are going to give u a 4 bolt housing, exactly like they did at several transmission shops to me, which is not right for my transmission.. for the sake of conversation the housing i need is "late model 6 bolt 4l60e tailshaft housing"...
It sure is "late model" 4L60E because as far as I'm concerned 2003 and up are 4L65E's.

but for ***** and giggles just cuz you think im lying about prices.. heres an example.. these arent even oem...

http://www.shiftworks.com/tailhousing.htm
Just for ***** and giggles those are ALL adapter type housings that are used OEM but modified. You're paying $20-$40 for the housing and the rest for the modifications and parts. Never said you were lying, just not well informed.

These are new and used prices from a parts supplier.

Last edited by Jays_SSZ28; 01-30-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: 4l65e tailshaft question