Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

To Wrap or not to Wrap (headers question)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default To Wrap or not to Wrap (headers question)

Hey,

My 1-7/8" OBX headers are coming in on Monday. That gives me time to think about wrapping them using something like this DEI header wrap. As I understand it, header wrap has the following pros and cons:
  1. It forces heat that would normally dissipate at the root of the headers (i.e.: right next to your engine block) to travel further down your exhaust system before dissipating, resulting in a cooler engine bay and thus cooler air intake. This is an especially good thing if you have that crappy K&N CAI.
  2. Conversely, this may also mean that your engine takes longer to warm up. When combined with a 160 degree thermostat, you could be sitting in the cold for a while during the winter.
  3. Header wrap can also trap moisture and accelerate corrosion.
  4. By increasing exhaust temperature, it may decrease catalytic converter lifetime.
Does that sound about right? If you've wrapped your headers, do you remember how much wrap you needed?

Edit: any idea on how well (or poorly, for that matter) the CTS-V does on emissions without catalytic converters, both before and after a tune?
Old 04-01-2011, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW & IMHO: I personally do not like the appearance of any wrap, it can create a fire hazard if anything is spilled on it and it will cause additional area to be taken up around the diameter of the header tubes. Somebody on a V1 section somewhere had clearance problems between the header tube and the steering shaft caused by wrap.
I would consider ceramic coat depending upon cost of the process.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:48 AM
TECH Regular

When I had headers I wrapped them to get rid of the metallic sewing machine sound.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did not wrap mine and have had no issues.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wrapped mine.. more pros then cons for me.. they are SS headers im not to worried about rust.. search.lots of FAIL stories about headers

imo best route is a high temp ceramic coating but it costs as much as OBX headers new lol
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...n-exhaust.html

Originally Posted by whisler151
I did not wrap mine and have had no issues.
common whiss,, what do you call your alternator wire fiasco... or was that not you..

Last edited by shadyLS6; 04-01-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
common whiss,, what do you call your alternator wire fiasco... or was that not you..
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I guess it the headers were wrapped they wouldn't have been hot enough to burn through the alternator wire thus causing $1000 in damage.

Yeah, if you have the time, wrap them just to be safe.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whisler151
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I guess it the headers were wrapped they wouldn't have been hot enough to burn through the alternator wire thus causing $1000 in damage.

Yeah, if you have the time, wrap them just to be safe.
yea bud your thread made me put the effort in and wrap mine up.. one little plastic tab is the only thing holding that bitch up there.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Teching In

I used two rolls of the DEI 2 inch wide wrap to do my Kooks long tube 1 7/8th headers....It does keep the sound down...I went with wrapping because the local ceramicoating guy refused to warranty the coating because of my Maggie...said the forced induction brings to much heat to guarantee the work...plus wrapping was 65-75 dollars compared to 275-350....
Old 04-01-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have mine JetHot coated...same thing as wrap, not as ugly.

but i would would say any extra heat protection is a very good idea.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:12 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

I purchased DEI's 2" titanium wrap. 2 rolls at 50' each. Good temperature coverage and will cover with the silicon spray for protection.

Ugliness... Call it what you will. My hood is open for two minutes a week for fluid checks and once every two months for a clean. There is nothing to show off under a hood of a NA car. I think it's funny when people hear a cammed car and say, "hey, pop the hood!" you can't see the engines mod bro. And my ***** not chromed out.... It's just a daily soon to be street monster!

Last edited by -T-; 04-01-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its definitely a bitch to wrap headers...but its worth it for the piece of mind. The only thing worse than wrapping would be having to smell the burning header wrap/silicone for a few weeks until it burns off.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is what happens when you don't wrap it up!!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ecautions.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...s-you-may.html
Old 04-05-2011, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is what happens when you don't wrap it up!!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ecautions.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...s-you-may.html
Old 04-06-2011, 11:07 AM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

I talked with a sales rep at DEI about the titanium wrap being coated with the silicon spray after wrapping. I was reading conflicting arguments so I just contacted the makers. Silicon spray and wet wrapping is not required. Wet wrapping because it's more playable and doesn't stretch, which is why you wet wrap. Silicon spray - the wrap already contains the chemical compounds necessary for anti- fluid absorption. Therefore no need.

And for the horror stories of catching fire. I experimented with a 3" piece last night. Starting fluid, gasoline, butane torch and fire pit were my tools for the experiment.

I could not get this thing to light. After the flammables burnt out, I could pick the wrap up with my bare hands and hold it without risk of burn injuries. Thus stuff is awesome. It sat on a grate in the fire pit for 15 minutes, soot wiped right off to expose the just like new finish. I did everything but put it in a pan of oil and set it a flame. Mostly because I don't have anything to put it out and don't suggest anyone perform that experiment.

I suggest this product to anyone looking to wrap their headers. I'll post up my experience on the wrapping.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dont forget this thread!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ader-fail.html
Old 04-06-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

hahah tru whiss how could i forget..

2 rolls 50" DEI wrap + DEI SI spray==== smells like baked cookies on the first startup... fiberglass coookies

Old 04-13-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

hahah tru whiss how could i forget..

2 rolls 50" DEI wrap + DEI SI spray==== smells like baked cookies on the first startup... fiberglass coookies

Is there any difference in the standard[ i think ] fiberglass header wrap i bought on Fleabay than the titanium wrap....

Just went on DEI website and found this>>>>>>>>below in red print!!!!!!!!

Titanium Exhaust Wrap with LR Technology
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$15.00SKU: 010128
Titanium exhaust wrap, with LR Technology, is made from pulverized lava rock and stranded into a fiber material and is engineered to be stronger than typical wraps on the market today. It has the ability to handle higher heat for improved performance and durability – and with a cool carbon fi ber look!

Withstands 1800˚F direct/2500˚F radiant heat
Promotes increased flow for improved performance
High resistance to chemical & oil spills and abrasions
Reduces temperature & vibration breakdown
Extremely pliable for easy install – will not shrink
No need to "wet" wrap to install
NOTE: Design Engineering HT Silicone Coating spray is NOT recommended for DEI Titanium wrap.

Last edited by GREG O.; 04-13-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Quick Reply: To Wrap or not to Wrap (headers question)