Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Just wondering?

Old 04-01-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Just wondering?

I know you can widen a wheel from the back, but can you do it from the front/lip?

Last edited by theskitztikwon; 04-01-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure...but it cost a lot more due to the finishing and smoothing that will need to be done since it's on the visble side of the wheel.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanx...and yea i figured if it could be done it would cost more for that reason but really just a question to satisfy my curiosity
Old 04-03-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HavATampa
Sure...but it cost a lot more due to the finishing and smoothing that will need to be done since it's on the visble side of the wheel.
Correct, but there's one other factor...There has to be enough space between the outer edge of the rim and the spokes, or whatever, in the wheel's center, for a cut to be made, in order to weld in the band to widen the rim.

On a lot of the "high positive offset" wheels, the spokes come to within a half inch or so, of the outer edge of the wheel, so there's no way to cut the wheel without actually cutting intoo the spokes themselves. That won't work.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True...and most companies don't even offer this service anyway. Probably because it's such a pain to do correctly and safely. I like the affect of adding more tire to the inside anyway. From the side, the rim still looks stock, but from the back, totally different.

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Correct, but there's one other factor...There has to be enough space between the outer edge of the rim and the spokes, or whatever, in the wheel's center, for a cut to be made, in order to weld in the band to widen the rim.

On a lot of the "high positive offset" wheels, the spokes come to within a half inch or so, of the outer edge of the wheel, so there's no way to cut the wheel without actually cutting intoo the spokes themselves. That won't work.

Search this Thread