Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Found my monster clutch disengagement problem...shit

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found my monster clutch disengagement problem...****

Well last week I was driving my car home from work. and I pulled up to a stop sign. Went to push in the clutch and it was alittle hard to put in gear. I could feel the clutch spinning thru the shifter. I thought it was a master cylinder, so I bought another one and took it out today for a spin.
It did the same thing, so I pulled out the tranny and this is what I found.
I put in the clutch in spring/summer of 09' I have around 30k on the clutch. From what I can tell the pilot bearing is also shot. but the slave/throwout and pressure plate and flywheel looks allright. Just the disk and pilot bearing.
I just put on a set of LS3 heads/intake and was waiting on a tune, the car has not been beat on at all this yr. I just had the car on the road for only 1 month since the h/i swap. Any idea what could have caused this?
Im going to call snl tomorrow and shoot them pics tonight. Hopefully they will help me out. Im not sure what kind of warranty I got with this setup. I hope it's still covered alittle....

Last edited by 06blackGTO; 04-02-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:04 AM
On The Tree

Not turning on the flamethrower here. Simply telling you what I have seen.

Improper break in is the main cause of early clutch wear exactly like this.

The second leading cause of early clutch failure is reusing a non resurfaced/warped/untrue flywheel with a new clutch install.

Last but not least, occasionally a defective disc is always a possibility. I have never personally seen a defective, damaged disc from Monster.

I hope you get this figured out.. I will be interested in SNL's response here.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sargeant Sh!tbag

The second leading cause of early clutch failure is reusing a non resurfaced/warped/untrue flywheel with a new clutch install.

Last but not least, occasionally a defective disc is always a possibility. I have never personally seen a defective, damaged disc from Monster.

I bought the kit as a premium setup. All new pp/fw/throwout bearing/pilot bearing/slave cylinder.

I broke it in as the monster manual said to.
But I guess it's a mute point now. I found out im out of warranty.
Hopefully matt or steve at monster will give me a good deal on a new disk and pilot bearing.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why is there so much wear inside the pucks. That looks odd. I gotta say though I would probably be happy with 30K on a clutch, especially if you raced it alot.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 25thhawk
why is there so much wear inside the pucks. That looks odd. I gotta say though I would probably be happy with 30K on a clutch, especially if you raced it alot.
Well it is my dd. and I do drive it like I stole it, just haven't this yr. Since it's only been on the road this month.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

any idea why the plate looks worn in the area inside the pucks or is it just the picture?
Old 04-02-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 25thhawk
any idea why the plate looks worn in the area inside the pucks or is it just the picture?
I think it's just the pics.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

Hopefully they will help you out. Doesn't look like it is worn very much. Just looks like it broke the spring. Not that it matters, need a new one now. Wonder if the rivets holding it in place failed?
Old 04-02-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

A

Sgt. Shitbag, at least your username is correct!! My Textralia looked exactly like this, f@$ken rivets had came up on me and the springs were practically coming out. I had mine on 4 years 20-25 launches and there was always a weird squeal when slipping the clutch.

I also broke in my clutch like they recommended and who the hell in their right mind would use a non resurfaced flywheel. I sure didn't and it still failed! Sorry just venting!
Old 04-03-2011, 04:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tirefire
A

Sgt. Shitbag, at least your username is correct!! My Textralia looked exactly like this, f@$ken rivets had came up on me and the springs were practically coming out. I had mine on 4 years 20-25 launches and there was always a weird squeal when slipping the clutch.

I also broke in my clutch like they recommended and who the hell in their right mind would use a non resurfaced flywheel. I sure didn't and it still failed! Sorry just venting!
It is ok. I was simply laying out all the possibilities including that of it being defective..

I would be pissed as well. It is not like he is my friend. I have no idea how he treats his car. He wanted to know so I played out all the possibilities. .
Old 04-04-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It is ok. I was simply laying out all the possibilities including that of it being defective..

I would be pissed as well. It is not like he is my friend. I have no idea how he treats his car. He wanted to know so I played out all the possibilities. .

Damn, were not friends?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:16 AM
FormerVendor

When the pilot bearing fails it literally shakes the clutch apart. Give us a call and we'll go over a few things.

Matt -
817-750-2000

Quick Reply: Found my monster clutch disengagement problem...shit