Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New guy sayin hi...

Old 04-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy sayin hi...

Hey all, I've been lurking for a while, figured I'd finally make a post and say whats up. Name is Doug, hailing from the great Pacific NW. I have been doing customs for about 15 years now and out of habit, have been stuffing carbed small blocks into pretty much everything. Over the last few years, I have slowly come to see the ways of modern power plants. We stuffed an LT1 into a Mazda B2200 pickup (along with various other chassis and body mods), and the flat torque curve, throttle response and milage pretty much had me hooked...here are a couple pics...

For my personal project (if you couldnt tell, I like mini trucks...lol), I've been building an '85 S-10 blazer for the last 10 years or so, and it's been in various states of "done". Last round was full air suspension, body dropped and small blocked...almost ready for paint when I tore it down. Here's what she looked like..

As of now, it sits with a new frame from the firewall back, with a new body waiting. As of last night, I'm the proud owner of an '05 LQ4 with about 280k on the odometer. I picked it up complete with ecu, harness and all accessories. Plans are for rebuild, cam and decent tune, shooting for a reasonable 400+ hp.

Few shots of the new frame...

And the LQ4 waiting in the wings....

wow..that was a hell of a first post..lol

Last edited by low_blazer; 04-05-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:46 AM
Teching In

And the tear down begins...

Well, I'm done working on the 6.0 for the night. Top end is mostly tore down. I pulled the heads to find a pleasant surprise...they cylinder walls are in excellent shape. No ridge at all, and you can still see the machine marks. Either these engines wear really well, or it's been through at least once. I haven't pulled out the calipers to check bore yet...either way, it looks like I'll be good with rings and bearings

I'll probably tear into the bottom end tomorrow or monday, see what's really going on down there..
Old 04-03-2011, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Welcome!!! and this is probably a First. LOL I really like the old school wheels on the blazer! Never seen a truck like this torn down. VERY interesting to see the makings and the frame in involved..... Keep the thread goin dude. and Good Luck!!!
Old 04-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Thanks man....it's definately been a process, but the little trucks are a tons of fun to build, especially when you stuff some power under the hood

Finally got a chance to bust open the bottom...

As I expected, crank is wiped. Front 4 rod bearings and front 2 mains are shot. 2 and 6 rods bearings actually heat seized and welded themselves to the rods, so 2 rods are fucked....

Old 04-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Teching In

With as much dammage as there is to the crank, I bit the bullet and just ordered a new one instead of trying to turn this one. So, new stock crank and rods are on their way...

Here's a shot of the main bearings...the front 3 were totally wiped, back 2 look brand new..lol

Front:

Rear:

Old 04-08-2011, 12:46 AM
Teching In

Rods showed today, crank should be here 12th or 13th

Search this Thread