Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll races...what STR with my VIG 2800???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 12:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll races...what STR with my VIG 2800???

I'm sending my VIG 3200 back to Terry at PI so he can re-stall it to 2800. I told him I want to race from rolls and I'll have about 675 RWHP (on spray), he said a 2800 would be best.

What is STR?

What should it be set to?

I didn't get a chance to ask him but I plan to, I wanted some opinions from you guys that race from rolls with auto's.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:11 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they dont give a choice of STR as I understand. Instead of restalling, just get a multidisc ($375 to upgrade to a BRAND NEW one , any stall).
Old 02-19-2004, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SDB
they dont give a choice of STR as I understand. Instead of restalling, just get a multidisc ($375 to upgrade to a BRAND NEW one , any stall).
Whats the difference in a multi-disc, just stronger.

PI told me that the VIG 2800 would hold up easily 800 RWHP, from a roll.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:05 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

more clutch surface area, it "holds" better. If you have a free restall, maybe just get it restalled, but if your paying $225 for a restall, then definately upgrade to a NEW multidisc, any stall you want for $375 (basically $150 for a better NEW converter over just paying for restall).
Old 02-19-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SDB
more clutch surface area, it "holds" better. If you have a free restall, maybe just get it restalled, but if your paying $225 for a restall, then definately upgrade to a NEW multidisc, any stall you want for $375 (basically $150 for a better NEW converter over just paying for restall).
I'm gonna do it. I just e-mailed Terry at PI to ask what he thinks.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

PI told me that unless I'm doing full throttle forced torque converter lockups I don't need a multi-disc converter.

What the heck is a full throttle forced torque converter lockups?
Old 02-19-2004, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

When you lock up the converter manually at full throttle via a lockup switch or LS1 Edit
Old 02-20-2004, 11:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by quickWS6
When you lock up the converter manually at full throttle via a lockup switch or LS1 Edit
Is what I should have since I'm wanting to run from rolls?
Assume close to 700 RWHP on the 150 TNT shot, and PI advised that I get re-stalled to VIG 2800. But if the multi-disc and a lock-up would benefit me in this type of race, I'll do it.

PI said the multi-disc is only good for people wanted to do the lock-up deal at WOT.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Quickin
Is what I should have since I'm wanting to run from rolls?
Assume close to 700 RWHP on the 150 TNT shot, and PI advised that I get re-stalled to VIG 2800. But if the multi-disc and a lock-up would benefit me in this type of race, I'll do it.

PI said the multi-disc is only good for people wanted to do the lock-up deal at WOT.

It depends on what you are going for. For a record ET, yeah I would definately lock it up at WOT. For driving around normally, I wouldn't, for street races, I wouldn't, for big money or bragging rights street races, I would. It will put more wear and stress on the converter and other parts. I would get the multi-disc and a manual lock up switch.

BTW, why are you only going with a 2800 stall? I would call TCI and get a 4400 stall built that will actually stall to 4400 with your power level.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:55 PM
TECH Veteran

It depends on what you are going for. For a record ET, yeah I would definately lock it up at WOT. For driving around normally, I wouldn't, for street races, I wouldn't, for big money or bragging rights street races, I would. It will put more wear and stress on the converter and other parts. I would get the multi-disc and a manual lock up switch.

BTW, why are you only going with a 2800 stall? I would call TCI and get a 4400 stall built that will actually stall to 4400 with your power level.
High stall converters are meant for hard launches, NO?

I'm just interested in roll races on the street. And YES, I want as much power as possible to get to the ground when I race.

You say a manual lock-up switch???? Does this mean it locks when I want it to? How would I use it in a roll race from say 50-150mph???? When would I lock it up?

Maybe that'll be the best for my purpose.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

High stall converters are meant for hard launches, NO?

I'm just interested in roll races on the street. And YES, I want as much power as possible to get to the ground when I race.

You say a manual lock-up switch???? Does this mean it locks when I want it to? How would I use it in a roll race from say 50-150mph???? When would I lock it up?

Maybe that'll be the best for my purpose.
High stall converters help in every area of the RPM band over a lesser stall (assuming you don't get too high a stall). With the manual lock-up switch, you can lock up the converter just by hitting a switch, I would lock it up once you hit 3rd above 5000. But, with a Vig 2800, stock internal cars only pull 4300-4500 on the shifts I believe, which is not what you are wanting from a roll. I would want to hold atleast 5500 on the shifts in your car.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From a roll, I would want to be at a 1 to 1 lockup as soon as possible. If you run against a Man trans at 50mph, he will probably be in 2nd and unless he has a slipping clutch; his RPM will match the MPH thru all gears.
Old 02-21-2004, 03:36 PM
TECH Veteran

High stall converters help in every area of the RPM band over a lesser stall (assuming you don't get too high a stall). With the manual lock-up switch, you can lock up the converter just by hitting a switch, I would lock it up once you hit 3rd above 5000. But, with a Vig 2800, stock internal cars only pull 4300-4500 on the shifts I believe, which is not what you are wanting from a roll. I would want to hold atleast 5500 on the shifts in your car.
Well, I need to make a decision by next week Thursday.

Should I get the manual lockup switch and just lock it up at a certain RPM?
I'd like to get the multi-disc converter if this set-up will give a more efficient use of my HP/TQ.

Or should it be done by use of the PCM?

What should my shift points be set to in the PCM?

What stall should I go with? 2800 like PI said?
Old 02-21-2004, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I need to make a decision by next week Thursday.

Should I get the manual lockup switch and just lock it up at a certain RPM?
I'd like to get the multi-disc converter if this set-up will give a more efficient use of my HP/TQ.

Or should it be done by use of the PCM?

What should my shift points be set to in the PCM?

What stall should I go with? 2800 like PI said?
I wouldn't do it by the PCM because I wouldn't want it locking up at every WOT run. Your shift points should be determind based by your power curve. A Vig 2800 will stall more then 2800 (especially with your power level), but I wouldn't use it. Call TCI and see what they recommend before making a decision.