General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil Leak!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak!!!

I'm not a complete newb, but cant seem to find where the leak is coming from. Do LS1's have a common place that they leak from? I recently bought the car and have not had a chance to get into it. I was at a muffler/repair shop and they guy thought it was comming from the oil pressure sending unit? I know it is at the rear of the engine and would be difficult to check without removing the intake. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

You just need to look at it and see where the oil is coming from.. There are 320927509384 reasons why these motors can leak and an eqaul amount of places a leak can start..

Pictures of leak site would be awesome. A mirror will help you greatly.

How much oil is leaking?

Where does it appear to be coming from?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Teching In

I will get under it today, it appears to be leaking in the rear of the engine. it loses about a quart between oil changes. The underside of the car has a noticeable amount of oil splatter on it all the way back to the rear end.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Teching In

Default oil leak

I got under the car last night, the first thing I did was clean it up. Then I checked for loose bolts on the pan. The rear bolts seemed to be loose. I tighted them up but did not over do it because I didnt know the torque specs. I went for a short drive, jacked it up and found no visible leaks? I drove it to work this morning and looked under the car and found that it was leaking at the rear of the pan I dont know if it would help to take the inspection cover off the trans? Any Ideas?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Well, replied yesterday that the leak was at the rear of the pan, but its not the case. It appeared that way beacause I couldnt get under the car at work. When I got home last night I jacked the car up and found that it is coming from the passenger side. It is coming from above and leaking onto the cat. Any ideas?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Rear main seal? mine was doing it for ever and if its a m6 car they have a slight hole in the bottom of the bellhousing it comes out of and depending on how bad the have the plastic cover by above the oil filter it could seep out as well, the seal is a two peice design. I did my 99 when I put in the new clutch and fixed it and now my 00 ta. Is doing it to..
Old 04-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

^^^ welcome to the LS1 Rear Main Disaster.. I myself (and my wallet) fell victim about 3 months back.. sounds like the culprit.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn oil leak.. My buddy told me that my oil pan gasket needs to be changed.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
Damn oil leak.. My buddy told me that my oil pan gasket needs to be changed.
I just had to replace ALL of my gaskets.. and rear main.. LS1 went ballistic! TXZ28... your signature is F'in hilarious judging by the "AAFES" reference, lackland?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Default oil leak

You guys think its rear main seal? I think it is coming from above, maybe valve cover, sending unit or PCV????
Old 04-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had a new tranny installed this week. I also have an oil leak which was assumed to be the rear main. Once the tranny was out, it was found to not be the rear main or the rear cover. Both were perfect, but I had them change the rear main anyway. All of 18 bucks for the seal since the tranny was already out and no labor charge. There appear to be 2 leaks. One from the oil pan, maybe. The other is likely, what I was told and shown, the knock sensor. The oil pressure sending unit looked brand new and shiny from underneath. Likely replaced when the LS6 intake was installed. The leaks no longer appear to be current or anything, so the existing oil may just be left over from the replacement of the sending unit. The oil I saw was quite dirty and old looking, not fresh. The car also has over 100k on it and the tranny had never ever been removed, so the rear main was factory still and not leaking at all.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Default oil leak

I didnt think of that I should have as my LQ4 did leak at the knock sensor....
Old 04-06-2011, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

It sounds to me like the oil pressure sending unit because mine has been leaking a little bit from the exact place you speak of.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Well all I can say is thanks for the tips, this weekend I am going to change valve cover gasket and check PCV. If thats not it I hope it is the sending unit. I will post what I find.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a similar problem and removed the tranny twice thinking it was the rear main. Ended up being the sending unit! It's very easy to change even with the intake on if you have the special socket. Also those two bolts at the rear of the oil pan you need to be very careful with. If you just slightly torque them to much they will break! Ask me how I know
Old 04-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by trey1010
I had a similar problem and removed the tranny twice thinking it was the rear main. Ended up being the sending unit! It's very easy to change even with the intake on if you have the special socket. Also those two bolts at the rear of the oil pan you need to be very careful with. If you just slightly torque them to much they will break! Ask me how I know
Where did you get the socket? Does anyone know where I can get one? I knew those bolts were fragile and thats why I didnt over do it. Thanks
Old 04-07-2011, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

How do you know? I am curious lol.. sorry i know it isnt funny
Old 04-07-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got the socket at oreillys I believe they should know what your talking about if
You ask for a
Oil pressure sending unit socket. It's like 12 dollars. And just like the OP it was leaking and I was like
Oh hey these bolts aren't tight and next thing I know
Snap!! Had to remove the tranny again to fix it lol
Old 04-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Teching In

I got the socket at oreillys I believe they should know what your talking about if
You ask for a
Oil pressure sending unit socket. It's like 12 dollars. And just like the OP it was leaking and I was like
Oh hey these bolts aren't tight and next thing I know
Snap!! Had to remove the tranny again to fix it lol
Thanks man. That had to suck to pull the tranny
Old 04-09-2011, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

If it was leaking at the sending unit could it cause the oil gauge to act up because mine has a leak and the sending unit likes to go crazy sometimes.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak!!!