Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

My clutch needs a negative shim. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My clutch needs a negative shim. What to do?

I used the procedures outlined in the sticky section on measuring for clutch shimming.

My "B" measurement is 2 1/4"

My "A" measurement is 1 15/16"

Meaning that my slave will be pushing on my pressure plate 5/16".

What can I do in this situation?

-The clutch / FW is a centerforce (barely used)
-Master cylinder is a Delco Unit (new)

Tick?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:50 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

something to triple check:
Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
keep in mind the giant spring under the bearing is removed and the bearing is pushed as far toward the base of the slave as it will travel when actually taking your measurement:
Old 04-04-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmd
something to triple check:
Spring is removed........ Thanks though.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was the clutch disc installed when you measured the pressure plate? Also, make sure there is not a shim stuck to the bottom of the slave or on the transmission. Make sure you don't have any flywheel shims installed.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by raven154
Was the clutch disc installed when you measured the pressure plate? Also, make sure there is not a shim stuck to the bottom of the slave or on the transmission. Make sure you don't have any flywheel shims installed.
Yes, clutch disk was installed. No shims anywhere, Its all been apart. The pressure plate is torqued to spec, as is the bellhousing, and the slave, with all bolts in each.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your "A" measurement is too small. So either the clutch pack is too thick, youre not measuring correctly or pressure plate is torqued too tightly. Assuming that you did everything correctly with the install. Before doing anything I would double check the torque number on the pressure plate. If it is too high, it can cause this problem. If its right then I would probably pull the clutch and flywheel off and verify that it is the correct stack height. I'm not sure what it should be, never had that issue. But the clutch manufacturer should be able to tell you. I would start with them first. Could be that they sent you the wrong part number for your app. or possibly the wrong flywheel.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 25thhawk
your "A" measurement is too small. So either the clutch pack is too thick, youre not measuring correctly or pressure plate is torqued too tightly. Assuming that you did everything correctly with the install. Before doing anything I would double check the torque number on the pressure plate. If it is too high, it can cause this problem. If its right then I would probably pull the clutch and flywheel off and verify that it is the correct stack height. I'm not sure what it should be, never had that issue. But the clutch manufacturer should be able to tell you. I would start with them first. Could be that they sent you the wrong part number for your app. or possibly the wrong flywheel.
This clutch was bought with an engine, I didn't order it. Pressure plate is torqued to 52 ft lbs, with ARP bolts.

WHY does everything I do have to be difficult?
Old 04-04-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

What did the engine come out of and what is it going in? Definitely could be mismatch of parts if they werent the same type of vehicle. What bellhousing are you using? I know that Jason from TDP has bellhousing shims if you absolutely needed them. Also, when I just did my clutch, I got a slave that was alot shorter(my B was like 1.98) so changing slaves might be able to help you.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 25thhawk
What did the engine come out of and what is it going in? Definitely could be mismatch of parts if they werent the same type of vehicle. What bellhousing are you using? I know that Jason from TDP has bellhousing shims if you absolutely needed them. Also, when I just did my clutch, I got a slave that was alot shorter(my B was like 1.98) so changing slaves might be able to help you.
If you must know, the clutch / fw / trans came out of a 99 camaro

The engine is out of a 00 silverado

and it's going in a 78 Datsun.

And same type of vehicle? What does it matter? gen 3 is gen 3?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

I was more meaning that it might be a mismatch of parts. If everything was installed together and worked before. There should be no problem now. But If the clutch was for a different app. than the bellhousing and slave being used, that could be a problem. Your "A" measurement just seems real short. Which either means the clutch stack is too thick or the bellhousing needs to be thicker, Only time I heard of that was with a guy that torqued the pressure plate bolts to 75 ftlbs.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

I will grab a measurment of my bellhousing while it is out of the car so you can measure yours and see if they are dif. Should get to the garage in the next few days..
Old 04-04-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

I got a stock bellhousing on the floor right now if you need the measurement. I can see it making that much of a difference though. Plus if all of those parts were working together before, it should be good. I am not too familiar with the truck blocks or cranks. Any chance they are different than the f-body block and crank?
Old 04-04-2011, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

I was just taking a stab in the dark that the bellhousing on the camaro may be a dif width.. Go measure it so he can check his. It will just eliminate one more possibilty.

I was wondering the same on the block/crank.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by STEEPSS
If you must know, the clutch / fw / trans came out of a 99 camaro

The engine is out of a 00 silverado

and it's going in a 78 Datsun.

And same type of vehicle? What does it matter? gen 3 is gen 3?
Nope. Start reading at post #4.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...mount-lq4.html
Old 04-04-2011, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Time for the bellhousing shim..
Old 04-05-2011, 07:05 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, looks like it. Call Jason at TDP, he is great to deal with. You may also have to measure the depth between the bellhousing face and the pilot bearing to make sure that the front of the input shaft stays supported.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIPRETR2
Well this isn't an iron-headed gen 3. Thanks for your assumption of my lack of knowledge, but I know what I'm dealing with.

My 2000 LM7 5.3 engine has the exact same crank flange as any other (early LQ4 aside) gen 3 engine.

I guess I'll look into a bellhousing shim.........? And what is TDP? Mind elaborating so I can find it?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Texas drivetrain performance
Old 04-05-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

I don't think anyone is assuming your lack of knowledge. Things like that are easily overlooked mistakes. Assuming that the block and crank you have are compatible, then the bellhousing shim may not be the right answer. If the crank is right and you move the trans back, IDK if you will have enough pilot bearing support. I would measure to make sure, but here is the link to TDP with the bellhousing shim. Best of luck.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ht=slave+shims
Old 04-05-2011, 01:07 PM
10 Second Club

I was mostly answering your ASSumption that gen3 is gen3, obviously that is not the case. As for a lack of knowledge, if you knew everything you wouldn't be asking questions about shims would you? No need to be a dick when asking for help, as 25thhawk mentioned, even the best of us miss the details occasionally. Good luck with your solution.

Quick Reply: My clutch needs a negative shim. What to do?