Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HELP!! LT1 T56 Clutch MC issues

Old 04-05-2011, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! LT1 T56 Clutch MC issues

Good Evening,

Just finished a LT1 T56 swap into a 87 Monte Carlo. Installed Spec flywheel and stage 3 clutch. Installed new GM hydraulics and currently working to modify a stock G body clutch pedal to work with the hydraulics. The problem I'm having is the clutch master cylinder will not depress at all. All of my alignment is correct in the pedal. I attempted to use more force, the pushrod went in a little and then fluid leaked out of the rubber seal.

This is the 1st time I installed hydraulics for a T56.

Am I missing something? Or is this a bad MC?

I also checked the slave, I took off the nylon strap and the push rod moves in and out.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you try bleeding the hydraulics? Also, are you sure the clutch fork is installed on the TOB correctly?

One time my fork was installed wrong and I couldn't get the clutch pedal to go down. So I forced it down and snapped the fork rod.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:19 AM

I will pull it out tonite and try to bleed it. The fork is installed on the TOB correctly. Even after pulling the slave off of the transmission the master will not depress. If there was air in the system I would think the master would move without moving the slave. Unfortunately I have a master that refuses to move in.

Is it possible for these master cylinders to seize up by sitting too long?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

it is "possible" the slave unit is bad but unlikely if it is new. GM units come "sealed" and do not need bleeding for the LT1 "pull" type. Best not to open them up. You can remove the strap and push the plunger from bottom and have someone watch the MC on top to see if bubbles come up. If the piston on the MC is not fully out, you can't bleed from pushing the piston on the slave

The plastic strap should be left on. It will break 1st time pedal is depressed.

TQ for pressure plate bolts is 22 ft lbs. if to much clutch will not disengage.

what pedal system did you use for this mod?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:47 AM
FormerVendor

I know this may sound like a crazy question but are you sure the line from the master to the slave is connected properly/fully? If not there would be no where for the fluid to go when the pedal is depressed. It's worth taking a look.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:54 AM

I was able to push in the slave plunger and that forced fluid into the reservoir, Im getting no movement out of the master cylinder plunger. I'll take it all out of the car again tonite and see if i can bench test it, working on this solo.

Pressure plate was installed with 22ft/lb on the bolts

Pedal system being used is a stock G body clutch pedal setup pulled from a 79 malibu wagon 4 speed. Welded tab onto pedal to use with a standard LT1 t56 master. Pedal is just tacked at the moment for mock up. I was going to work on the pedal stop next to limit the plunger travel to 15/16". Thats when I ran into this issue of the master cylinder plunger not going in at all.

Ill pull it out tonite and make sure thet plunger isnt already seated all the way in the down position. The hydraulics are all new and never been opened.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:57 AM

SPEC-01 thats a good question. I'll double check that also, I didnt think that would be an issue. The hydraulics were new out of the box. Anything is possible I guess. Ill post an update later tonite. Thanks
Old 04-06-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Monte

The hydraulic line between slave and MC should certainly be attached correctly from factory. There is a roll pin that should be in the fitting at end of braided line which keeps the line on.

Not familiar with the 79 G body pedal config...possible the tab you welded is not allowing the piston to stroke correctly possibly due to whatever geometry/angle you welded this "tab" on to mount the hydraulics.

I did a A4/T56 swap in a 96 B-body and used a "kit" which included a custom pedal assembly designed to use GM hydraulics. No doubt there was so "figureing" on angles etc by the person who came up with it (BBHP). Perhaps you are at that "learning curve" part and will resolve your issue.

When I installed my hydraulics I did not try to push in the MC by itself..assume one could. Attached is pic of pedal assembly I have
Attached Thumbnails HELP!! LT1 T56 Clutch MC issues-scan0008.jpg  
Old 04-07-2011, 07:20 AM

I think I figured out the issue. Apparently the hydraulics had too much fluid in it, the system operated fine when I took the cap off of the reservior. Some fluid came out and the master worked flawlessly after that.

*****, thats a pretty slick pedal set up. Ill definitely remember that if I ever do a B body swap. I'm pretty much right on with my geometry on my clutch pedal. The piston is going straight into the master cylinder for just about the entire amount of travel.

Thanks for the ideas

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP!! LT1 T56 Clutch MC issues