General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Is my fuel pump about to go out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my fuel pump about to go out?

My fuel gauge randomly quits working. It usually occurs when there is half a tank or less. Doesn't last for more than a few minutes, then starts working again.

The car has 135k miles, to my knowldge the fuel system is completely stock and original (other than the fuel filter, I know some smart @$$ will ask about that).

The car rides fine. No loss of power when I cruise at highway speeds; no sputtering or anything like that.

Is this a precursor of bad fuel pump juju, or is it just a bad sending unit?

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

Mise well get a new fuel pump, you have a bad sending unit but they come new with a new fuel pump. But with that mileage id say it would be a good time to replace it all..
Old 04-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ccrook19
Mise well get a new fuel pump, you have a bad sending unit but they come new with a new fuel pump. But with that mileage id say it would be a good time to replace it all..
Gracias...time to do some fuel pump research.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no research to be done really man, just order the right Racetronix kit for your car & be done with it.

A good sign the pump itself is actually goin out will be a whining type sound comming from the rear of the car. Mine just died the other day & I started to hear this noise before it crapped. It can hide itself though, normally if the pump is cold it wont show signs unless its completely dead. Once it warms up is when it'll start acting up, mine was very noticeable if I tried to accelerate above 2500 RPMs, it would sputter & I could hear the whining comming from the hatch area with the windows up.

You can either cut a access panel or drop the tank for the install.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
no research to be done really man, just order the right Racetronix kit for your car & be done with it.

A good sign the pump itself is actually goin out will be a whining type sound comming from the rear of the car. Mine just died the other day & I started to hear this noise before it crapped. It can hide itself though, normally if the pump is cold it wont show signs unless its completely dead. Once it warms up is when it'll start acting up, mine was very noticeable if I tried to accelerate above 2500 RPMs, it would sputter & I could hear the whining comming from the hatch area with the windows up.

You can either cut a access panel or drop the tank for the install.
Thanks. I appreciate the advice.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cut the access panel, It makes it so much easier especially if you have to ever take it out again.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

Mine does the same.bad sending unit.Sometimes I can put the car in neutral and gas gauge will raise back up if more than a quarter tank of gas