Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust Help!!

I was wondering if anyone has SLP powerflo system on a ls1 car. My Z has a Flowmaster (garbage) muffler on it now that rattles and I was wondering how much quieter the powerflo is over the SLP LM1 or 2. I think this system has 3 mufflers in it? Looking to buy exhaust in the next day or so. Im ok with spending $650 on a system but Im picky on the sound. Daily driver, no mods, just want a good sounding exhaust that can handle future mods. Chambered mufflers are not an option for me they sound like they suck air when coming down from acceleration. Thanks guys, and this forum is awsome so far!

Last edited by GluMaker; 04-06-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Title not helpful
Old 04-06-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GluMaker
I was wondering if anyone has SLP powerflo system on a ls1 car. My Z has a Flowmaster (garbage) muffler on it now that rattles and I was wondering how much quieter the powerflo is over the SLP LM1 or 2. I think this system has 3 mufflers in it? Looking to buy exhaust in the next day or so. Im ok with spending $650 on a system but Im picky on the sound. Daily driver, no mods, just want a good sounding exhaust that can handle future mods. Chambered mufflers are not an option for me they sound like they suck air when coming down from acceleration. Thanks guys, and this forum is awsome so far!
Powerflo is a very quiet system. LM1 is the loudest by far, followed by LM2. On stock manifolds they are pretty tame. Loudmouth 1 is my favorite exhaust but alot of people dont like it. I have it with Long tubes and I dont think its THAT loud.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Ok. I will have to look into the lm2 then, I don't want to fall asleep driving it. Lol thanks a lot.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I highly discourage LM1 or 2 if you plan to do headers down the road. I've known too many people personally that had to go out and buy a new cat-back because they hated their LM1/2 after headers. Though quiet, I was very happy with my Magnaflow on my old car with headers. If you do go with LM1 or 2 though, make sure you get a catted Y. They help a lot with rasp and loudness.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by udienow
I highly discourage LM1 or 2 if you plan to do headers down the road. I've known too many people personally that had to go out and buy a new cat-back because they hated their LM1/2 after headers. Though quiet, I was very happy with my Magnaflow on my old car with headers. If you do go with LM1 or 2 though, make sure you get a catted Y. They help a lot with rasp and loudness.
My friend just put a LM1 on his with long tubes and an Off road Y. We did a side by side vs mine and his was alot louder. Driving around it pops and rasps out like crazy. Its just brutal. (He loves it) With the Catted Y pipe its not even close to as bad. Mine is only really loud on full throttle pulls. Under normal driving its very civil. I think the reason alot of people get sick of the loudmouth is because they ditch the cats and start doing internals. LM1/LT's/ORY with any type of mild cam is going to be insane to say the least.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

MikeWS6, do you recommend the SLP LM1? I'm still debating on catbacks, really want GMMG but too expensive, heard LM1 sucks by alot of people but thats people talking crap alot. I want to do LM1 sord of now, that or the TSP Rumbler, but I'm starting to really like the LM1, might end up getting that with tsp catted y. ORY is too nuts, I'm for sure staying catted.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Borla sounds better than the lm1 and is still pretty loud on stock manifolds imo. But the lm2 is better when compared to the lm1, sounds more tame. But for $650 or less, have you considered slps dual/dual? I think it sounds way better than either; especially with lts.

Gmmg or corsa is on the top of the list if money the is there though.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
MikeWS6, do you recommend the SLP LM1? I'm still debating on catbacks, really want GMMG but too expensive, heard LM1 sucks by alot of people but thats people talking crap alot. I want to do LM1 sord of now, that or the TSP Rumbler, but I'm starting to really like the LM1, might end up getting that with tsp catted y. ORY is too nuts, I'm for sure staying catted.
It would be best to hear one in person. What I think sounds good someone else may not. Its all personal opinion. LM1 is $375 at the ws6store. Its the best flowing catback, and its only 15 lbs. If its too loud with cats (which I highly doubt it will be) you can replace the resonator with a magnaflow, borla xr1, or lm2 muffler. In my opinion its the meanest sounding exhaust out there.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

My buddy did the powerflo conversion on his T/A after he did his cam swap. He had LM1 with longtubes and no cats and it sounded terrible. At idle it was mean sounding, but as soon as you hit the gas it sounded like someone filled a coffee can full of nails and shook it. There was so much rasp it was almost painful to hear ha ha. It sounds pretty good now though with the powerflo on there. With cats though I have to agree the loudmouth is a lot more tolerable.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with the statement above about the Borla. I bought my car with a Borla cat-back and it's adjustability is great. When I had stock mani's I had the 3/4 plate in, and it was pretty loud and sounded great. Now with headers I actually made a custom plate and it also sounds great. VERY low rasp for an LT/ORY setup.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Corsa catbacks would be complete distruction, man I wish I had money like that to blow. Yea I keep listening to sound clips on youtube but it feeds no justice, I bet these exhaust vids would sound WAYYYY better in person. Would ya'll go with TSP Rumbler catback over LM1/LM2? And would these catbacks sound decent with stock manifolds before headers ?
Old 04-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Love the input. I have decided to just replace the flow with a Borla direct replacement for now. They sound pretty good and I don't want to spend a lot of money on something I'm gonna change when I get headers and a cam. You guys are awesome.

WOW I just went to GMMG's website... Oh My God! I will be buying that exhaust!. It sounds Amazing!! Very strong note all the way through the RPM range. I can wait a little longer till I got the cash for this. I had never even heard of GMMG before. And to think this is my 2nd 4th gen Z28... Shame on me!!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Yea I said the same thing, that GMMG catback is SEXY. I'm most likely going to wait and get those instead. They went out of business though, their website is still running so you can see the videos but you can't order through them. They have the catbacks at Vengeance Racing (where the gmmg employees now work at) or hawksthirdgenparts.com
Old 04-08-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am not talking crap when I tell you LM1 or 2 sucks on a car with no cats, i've heard multiple set-ups in person. And I am not even saying its too loud or anything like that. It just straight up sounds like ****. Raps like a mother. You NEED a muffler IMO. If you really want something WIN and are short on coin, buy yourself a Magnaflow cat-back (I know you can find this for under $500 NEW) and get urself a $45 cut-out. If you wanna get fancy you can get a electric cutout for like $200. Either way u got urself a nice cat-back thats quiet/loud whenever you want for under $700.

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
If its too loud with cats (which I highly doubt it will be) you can replace the resonator with a magnaflow, borla xr1, or lm2 muffler. In my opinion its the meanest sounding exhaust out there.
My friend has a LM2 with a Xr1 in place of the resonator... still sound like **** IMO. This is again on a car with no cats, which again leads me to say that you def want cats if you are locked in on getting a LM cat-back.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by udienow
I am not talking crap when I tell you LM1 or 2 sucks on a car with no cats, i've heard multiple set-ups in person. And I am not even saying its too loud or anything like that. It just straight up sounds like ****. Raps like a mother. You NEED a muffler IMO. If you really want something WIN and are short on coin, buy yourself a Magnaflow cat-back (I know you can find this for under $500 NEW) and get urself a $45 cut-out. If you wanna get fancy you can get a electric cutout for like $200. Either way u got urself a nice cat-back thats quiet/loud whenever you want for under $700.

My friend has a LM2 with a Xr1 in place of the resonator... still sound like **** IMO. This is again on a car with no cats, which again leads me to say that you def want cats if you are locked in on getting a LM cat-back.
Ya mine is very deep with the cats. Doesnt have any rasp and it only drones on the highway at around 25k. I like it alot better than my buddys magnaflow,hooker, and borla's.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

udienow, I wasn't referring to you talking crap about LM1/LM2's lol, just almost every person having negative statements about them. But that being said, if I do get any of those catbacks, I'm for sure staying catted, whatever set up I'm getting I'm staying catted. But to be honest, I want to stay with the muffler style catbacks, I like them much better and just my style, buy no Magnaflow, heard that's just garbage, period. I would do Borla or Corsa, but man so expensive but oh well, I did tell myself from the beginning that I'm ONLY putting the best of the best in my SS. Oh and to tell you the truth, I didn't even know there were catback styles like LM1/LM2, TSP Rumbler or GMMG, I thought all the catbacks were muffler type or true duals until I got into this site lol.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have lm1 with stock manifolds and cats.. It sounds pretty damn good if you ask me and its still loud. Once i get headers ill be changing it out though.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Oh and by the way, what are cut-outs anyways? ?

01 Camaro SS, your changing your whole catback after headers? What you trying to get?
Old 04-08-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Oh and by the way, what are cut-outs anyways? ?
Cut outs are installed in the Intermediate pipe. Usually under the rear passenger seat. They uncork your exhaust before it gets to the muffler.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

01 Camaro SS, your changing your whole catback after headers? What you trying to get?
It Depends how loud it is. Ill try changing out the LM1 resonator for a Lm2 one first. Im not doing it for a while though.