Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

gear grinding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gear grinding?

Noticed today that when i go to put the car in reverse it grinds like the clutch isnt all the way in or something. It only does it when going into reverse all other gears are fine. Any thoughts?
Im hoping tge clutch cable just needs to be adjusted.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the v's dont have clutch cables.... And im guessing from the cts avatar by your name that neither does the base model cts. Does it do it everytime? If not maybe your not engaging the clutch all the way, and also try pumping it a couple times or changing your clutch fluid.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

The clutch is being pushed in everytime and i havent checked the clutch fluid. but if it was the fluid it would most likely do it in ither gears other than reverse. and no its about 1/2 of the time that it does it.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Try actually letting the clutch out an inch or two if its grinding/having a hard time going into reverse.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

You would be suprised on how many people open their clutch resivour and go "oops", so make sure you give that a look right away. Even changing if it's full could help a little. You want clear non chunky looking fluid in there
Old 04-06-2011, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Mine does the same thing. Clutch is engaging/disengaging properly. I do have a drivers side motor mount that is leaking. I didn't know if that is the cause of it or not. Getting all my parts rounded up for header install & was going to replace motor mounts then. I hope that is the cause of it & not a shift fork or syncro.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Ya i do not know what the deal is. But it will ve figured out soon. I need new motormounts also. My shifter is really worn out i know that has nothing to do with the geinding but maybe the not wanting to stay in reverse.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Try actually letting the clutch out an inch or two if its grinding/having a hard time going into reverse.
ive had trouble going into reverse also at times. if you just push on the shifter into reverse as ur letting the clutch out, ive found it goes right in. and it has popped out even when i got it engaged, so i just keep it pushed in while im reversing. have had no issues doing this.. hope you find the solution
Old 04-07-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

Clutch fluid could need replacing. When shifting becomes difficult, the clutch may not be disengaging all the way. Flush the clutch fluid and report back. If the trans fluid hasn't been flushed in the last 30k miles, it would be a good time to do it.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:23 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JOHN STEPHENS
Ya i do not know what the deal is. But it will ve figured out soon. I need new motormounts also. My shifter is really worn out i know that has nothing to do with the geinding but maybe the not wanting to stay in reverse.
I agree that the worn shifter could definitely be causing your trans to pop out of gear. The grinding could be caused by a failing slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder or pilot bearing. Unfortunitely I have seen quite a few CTS-Vs lately that have a failed reverse gear bearing on the mainshaft. The best bet would be to get it up in the air on some jack stands or a 2 post lift and start the car and try to put it in reverse. If the wheels spin forward while trying to put it in reverse then the clutch isn't fully disengauging and the hydralics or pilot bearing need to be inspected and or replaced.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Mine doesn't grind going into gear. It feels like the shifter can not fully engage reverse. It only grinds as it pops out. If I can ever get my wife out of the car for a day I will take it into work & jack the motor up on the left hand side to see if it helps any. I think with the worn motor mount it puts the shifter in a bind.
Hard to believe the motor mounts didn't last 35,000.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The worn motor mounts are very very unlikely to be the cause.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Grinds My Gears

Quick Reply: gear grinding?