Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 stuck to bellhousing/motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T-56 stuck to bellhousing/motor

I am trying to remove my T-56 (02' camaro SS) out of my LS-240sx nissan swap, due to some sort of trans fluid leak coming out of the bellhousing (Probably input shaft seal)

- I have unbolted everything necessary to remove the transmission.
- I am leaving the bellhousing attached to motor due to bolt access issues.
- All bolts are free and I have a small gap between trans and bellhousing but i can not get it to break free, I have used rubber mallet, and even pulled with a ratchet strap from rear ( I was gently and made sure it was square)

-Is there anything inside the bellhousing that could be preventing it from removing, it feels as though it is binding up on something, I can get the gap to almost 1/8" but its not even all the way around, Only 1/16" gap with it even spacing..
Old 04-06-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know you said you removed everything needed to take out the trans but did you remove the driveshaft? Hopefully a dumb question but sometimes you can forget the obvious things.

How big of a gap do you? Usually if you forget to rem ove a bolt it won't seperate at all and if you are able to get about an inch gap it doesn't sound like it's stuck on the dowl pins.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the response, Yes sir, driveshaft is off, trans mount off, and all bolts removed. With the ratchet strap pulling back fairly hard I get an uneven gap, the top is pinched and bottom is gapped about 1/8", with tension off I have about an 1/16" gap all the way around evenly... I am afraid to really give it hell and break something trying to remove it... Maybe its getting hung up on the slave cylinder ??? I don't think the shaft is even out of the pilot bearing yet... I did have a hard time getting the trans on with my new pilot a few months ago. I would think after driving a little it would loosen up a little. Thanks
Old 04-06-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 1 bolt left?

The transmission is bolted to the bell housing by 8 bolts are you sure you got them all out? There is one by the breather tube that is hard to see
Old 04-06-2011, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just put my t56 back in after a clutch job and a rebuild this past sunday. I recall taking it apart in November was a bitch. I had to beat on the bell and trans with a 3lb. hammer (carefully) and even then had to use a come along on the diff housing to get it to come off. Mine was strictly a dowel issue, one came off in the bell, the other in the trans. Those dowels can be a curse.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Are you sure all bolts are removed.Have enough clearance around the trans sides and top might be catching on the body somewhere. If all is good then I would say it's stuck on the pilot bearing.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine was VERY stuck also it ended up just being the right hand side dowel pin was corroded together. It looked as though a mechanic didn't clean up the dowel and apply anti-seize during the last clutch install. He then just used the bolts to draw the bell housing down on the corroded dowel again which caused my problem. It was so bad it ended up taking around 40 mins to work it lose. Mine had a gap around the bottom also but it was for sure stuck on the dowel pin. If your sure you got all 8 bolts id look at a dowel pin being the problem.

Last edited by mtuggle86; 04-06-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Start the engine using a breaker bar, then hold the RPM's at 3000 while pulling on the bellhousing. The vibration will "walk" it off the dowels.

<DON'T DO THE ABOVE, YOULL MOST LIKELY GET KILLED IF YOU COULD SOMEHOW FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT>

<Legitimate information below >

I Jack the trans up by the rear, so the gap is at the bottom of the bellhousing, and tap a long, thick screwdriver on each side, straight up from the ground toward the dowels, and remove pressure from the jack, and repeat. It doesnt damage either side, as the tip is held parallel to the gap. The transmission's weight will provide leverage to pop them loose. It helps to soak the dowels with PB blaster or some WD-40 through a straw, and let it sit for a while.

Last edited by 67RSCamaroVette; 04-08-2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Lack of sense of humor from other members..
Old 04-07-2011, 12:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Changed my clutch two weeks ago. At first I missed a bolt, once I found out I did, it took a lot of prying with a crowbar to get mine off, it was "sealed" quite well.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:41 AM
12 Second Club

PB blaster it, let it sit and work it with a pry bar or screw driver on each side. it will come out. so when u re-install make sure you apply some anti-seaze on the dowl pins so next time it'll be easier to remove..... works for me.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

Default Stupid Idea!!!

[B][QUOTE=67RSCamaroVette;14748310]Start the engine using a breaker bar, then hold the RPM's at 3000 while pulling on the bellhousing. The vibration will "walk" it off the dowels

This is the stupidest idea I have heard so far, are you an idiot or just like to live extremely dangerously, are you kidding by starting the car and revving it to 3000 rpms and pull on the bellhousing? If and when it does pop loose and the transmission input shaft falls out of the pilot bearing and into the clutch disc splines or the pressure plate fingers what do you think is going to happen if that pressure plate is spinning at 3000 rpms? More than likely you are going to see the whole transmission spin around quite fast and throw schrapnel of what will be left of your bellhousing and transmission and damage your face and fingers and limbs quite severely if it doesnt kill you, either you are very stupid or trying to be sarcastic and give extremely dangerous advice that is going to get somebody very hurt, I would like to see you get under a car with the motor spinning at 3000 rpms and see how safe you feel, as for the very stupid or sarcastic comment I made I am afraid it is the former comment that fits you!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=lizeec;14749157][B]
Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
Start the engine using a breaker bar, then hold the RPM's at 3000 while pulling on the bellhousing. The vibration will "walk" it off the dowels

This is the stupidest idea I have heard so far, are you an idiot or just like to live extremely dangerously, are you kidding by starting the car and revving it to 3000 rpms and pull on the bellhousing? If and when it does pop loose and the transmission input shaft falls out of the pilot bearing and into the clutch disc splines or the pressure plate fingers what do you think is going to happen if that pressure plate is spinning at 3000 rpms? More than likely you are going to see the whole transmission spin around quite fast and throw schrapnel of what will be left of your bellhousing and transmission and damage your face and fingers and limbs quite severely if it doesnt kill you, either you are very stupid or trying to be sarcastic and give extremely dangerous advice that is going to get somebody very hurt, I would like to see you get under a car with the motor spinning at 3000 rpms and see how safe you feel, as for the very stupid or sarcastic comment I made I am afraid it is the former comment that fits you!

I agree. That is a terrible TERRIBLE idea.

And to the OP, I know how you feel, the first time I took my tranny off, the bellhousing wouldn't budge for like 2 hours. I tried endlessly, with a jack, rubber mallet, EVERYTHING. You cant give up. Keep trying at it from every side. I ended up wedging a big flat head on the most stuck side and banging on the actual housing with a rubber mallet, but that was after pb blaster, crowbar, etc. It takes a while if it's been on there a while.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

it was a JOKE! haha! Shoulda caught on at the "start the engine with a breaker bar" part, haha.

Last edited by 67RSCamaroVette; 04-07-2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Grammar > me
Old 04-07-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lizeec
More than likely you are going to see the whole transmission spin around quite fast and throw schrapnel of what will be left of your bellhousing and transmission and damage your face and fingers and limbs quite severely if it doesnt kill you, either you are very stupid or trying to be sarcastic and give extremely dangerous advice that is going to get somebody very hurt, I would like to see you get under a car with the motor spinning at 3000 rpms and see how safe you feel, as for the very stupid or sarcastic comment I made I am afraid it is the former comment that fits you!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

LMAO I think I would hook my tractor up to it and rip it off before revving it to 3k while under the car! Thank everyone, I WILL get this thing out! PB blaster, pry bar, rubber mallet ect.. I'll post a picture when I get it out with the culprit.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Clayton Andrew;14749440]
[B]

I agree. That is a terrible TERRIBLE idea.

And to the OP, I know how you feel, the first time I took my tranny off, the bellhousing wouldn't budge for like 2 hours. I tried endlessly, with a jack, rubber mallet, EVERYTHING. You cant give up. Keep trying at it from every side. I ended up wedging a big flat head on the most stuck side and banging on the actual housing with a rubber mallet, but that was after pb blaster, crowbar, etc. It takes a while if it's been on there a while.
You really gotta love aluminum housings when there stuck together they can be a mother f*cker to get off and they can be easy to crack.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=mtuggle86;14749553]
Originally Posted by Clayton Andrew

You really gotta love aluminum housings when there stuck together they can be a mother f*cker to get off and they can be easy to crack.
Yeah, it was easily the most annoying part of the entire job. Gotta love rear main seal jobs hahaha
Old 04-07-2011, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

Default Joke?

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
it was a JOKE! haha! Shoulda caught on at the "start the engine with a breaker bar" part, haha.
Yes I caught that part and it threw me off but after reading the rest of your post I thought yeah he probably is really that stupid to give advice like that, I was a service manager in a industrial shop and have seen all types of mechanics from parts changer to the mechanic that claims he can fix the space shuttle only to find out I wouldnt let him work on my lawnmower, and the mechanic that keeps looking for the muffler bearing noise or trys to find the blinker fluid reservoir, it is smart *** advice like yours that get people hurt and me having been a service manager I have seen more than my fair share of accidents which arent pretty, at the end of the day we all want to go home with a paycheck, and sometimes I was the one that had to call that guys wife to tell him he is at the hospital and when they show up and you see the look on the wifes and kids face you will think twice about giving smart *** advice.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Yes I caught that part and it threw me off but after reading the rest of your post I thought yeah he probably is really that stupid to give advice like that, I was a service manager in a industrial shop and have seen all types of mechanics from parts changer to the mechanic that claims he can fix the space shuttle only to find out I wouldnt let him work on my lawnmower, and the mechanic that keeps looking for the muffler bearing noise or trys to find the blinker fluid reservoir, it is smart *** advice like yours that get people hurt and me having been a service manager I have seen more than my fair share of accidents which arent pretty, at the end of the day we all want to go home with a paycheck, and sometimes I was the one that had to call that guys wife to tell him he is at the hospital and when they show up and you see the look on the wifes and kids face you will think twice about giving smart *** advice.
All said without one period. Can you diagram this sentence for me?

Pretty please?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

Default Not a Problem

Originally Posted by 428 78T/A
All said without one period. Can you diagram this sentence for me?

Pretty please?
Sure ******* as soon as you show me your degree showing that you have a Masters Degree in English

If you want to go and correct someones grammar start with your inbred trailer trash family

Quick Reply: T-56 stuck to bellhousing/motor